bottle pellicle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtakacs

Reaction score
any of you worry/care if your brews reform a pellicle in the bottle? they seem to knock down and settle eventually, but it sure looks nasty! :drunk:

Pellicle means Brett infection. Expect a funky beer that might not taste good. also expect a gusher or even an exploding bottle.

**EDIT** oops just noticed this was in the lambic & Wild thread. so you knew it was brett, I would still be concerned about bottle bombs though if the brett is continuing to work in the bottle.

It just happens. Embrace the chunks! All a pellicle means is that there is oxygen in the headspace.

Pellicle means Brett infection. Expect a funky beer that might not taste good. also expect a gusher or even an exploding bottle.

**EDIT** oops just noticed this was in the lambic & Wild thread. so you knew it was brett, I would still be concerned about bottle bombs though if the brett is continuing to work in the bottle.

no, nothing is working in there anymore (or shouldn't be)... this thing has three strains of brett, pedio and lacto in it - all stopped chewing away months ago... i've had pellicles form in the bottle before and they all settle down...

either way i'm cracking the first one open tonight to check it out regardless of how undercarb'd it might be (only a week in the bottle but i'm jonesing to try this one...) :ban:

I bottled a berliner weiss a couple weeks back that has pellicles in the bottles. Tastes terrific though, so I'm hoping they'll settle out.

drinking one of my two berliners now (neither of which formed a pellicle in the bottle) - it's a good beer, but certainly not what i was going for. i think it's because i'm unfamiliar with the style but i wanted to try it.

as a fan of sours, this is "tart" but i certainly wouldn't call it sour... actually it's well balanced, light, incredible refreshing (you just want to chug it) but frankly, i doubt i'll make a berliner again. i've done two and it just doesn't do it for me.

chilling the sour blonde that has the pellicle right now - even during chilling it dropped and while it won't be fully carb'd yet, i just can't wait to try it so that's next up!

gotta go tend to me white belgian IIPA now. :)

Back