6.5 Gal Boil Test on Elec. Stove, Result: 85 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Tested boiling 6.5 gallons on my electric stove today to see if it could bring it to a boil, Im trying to make the transition to All-Grain.

Took about 85 minutes to start boiling, wasn't a vigorous rolling boil, but did seem to be a rolling boil.

What do you guys think? Will this be okay?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it would work to me but with a boil that mellow Im not sure how much boil off you will have maybe starting with 6 gal might work out better..... either way Im sure you will make some great beers.

Couldnt play the video but, my only concern would be (if this applies to you) is if your stove was a slick top, as I've heard that totally covering those burners for extended periods of time can burn them out prematurely. I have no experience with this and I'm sure it needs more research, but if it's worth considering. Did you leave the lid on to get to boil even at 80 minutes?

I do stove top as well with a 6.5 gallon kettle for all my beers. I wrapped it in some venting insulation and can get a rolling boil in around 45 minutes or less easily.

DSCF3171.jpg

I have used this setup for over 10 batches now and the insulation has held up to the test with no signs of burns or melting. Just an idea for you if you want to shorten the brew time a bit.

Were you using the lid at all? You can put the lid on the pot while you are bringing it to a boil(just be sure to check on it pretty often to make sure it doesnt boil over), you just need to take it off when you are actually boiling to let DMS boil away. Also, if your pot is big enough to use 2 burners that will help a lot. I boil on my stove, and I just make sure my pot covers all of the strongest burner, and then it reaches about halfway across another burner to add some extra power. With both burners and a lid, I can get it from mash temps to boiling in probably 15-30 minutes(I have never timed it, so I'm not sure).

Were you using the lid at all? You can put the lid on the pot while you are bringing it to a boil(just be sure to check on it pretty often to make sure it doesnt boil over), you just need to take it off when you are actually boiling to let DMS boil away.

This.^ I did my first 10 or so batches on a pretty weak electric top, but I was able to get a decent roll going after using the pot lid & watching it like a hawk. Can't say how much I emphasize getting a Banjo burner--180,000 BTU's of heat does wonders for brew days, and a decent model like Bayou Classic would only set you back around $80 including a propane tank.

Doh, didn't even try it with the lid on. I will do this on brew day with hopes of bringing down that 85 minute timespan, then I will remove the lid for the boil. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

I'm not sure exactly how bad it is, but if you leave the lid on half way for part of the boil you will get a much stronger boil. But I would definitely take it off completely sometime near the end of the boil to make sure you boil off all the DMS. Someone more experienced will hopefully tell you if my idea sucks or not.

Can you straddle the pot onto two burners? I do this with my gas stove and it makes a big difference. Also I leave the lid on until I reach a rolling boil. Then I add my first hops addition and boil for 1 hour with the lid off. Works for me.

I have been looking at new stoves with my wife and see that some have larger BTU rated burners. Thainking about this.

You could also build a heatstick. I made one and my pot straddles two burners and I can usually get a boil in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Back