Dry Hopping made gas bubbles in carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRawl

Reaction score
So, I added the pellet hops 5 days ago. Now, there are little air bubbles all over the carboy and on the surface. Also, there are two layers at the bottom, yeast at the very bottom and then i don't know what is on top of that. Anyone have a clue as to what this is?

IMG_20110328_185102.jpg

IMG_20110328_185030.jpg

IMG_20110328_185146.jpg

IMG_20110328_185117.jpg

Everything you're describing is perfectly normal. The air bubbles you are seeing is the release of carbon dioxide. The dry hops cause this. Basically, the hops are "un-carbonating" your beer somewhat. The first time I dry hopped I was concerned about this as well. As for the "two layers" at the bottom, well, from the picture it looks like you are talking about the layer that is stuck to the side of the carboy just above the bottom yeast layer? If so, this is actually settled yeast that has deposited itself on the side of the carboy. If that's not what you are talking about, then it is probably either sediment that is in the process of settling out or some cloudiness caused by the dry hops. When I dry hop, the beer always comes out a bit cloudy.

Don't worry.....your batch is just fine and will be quite tasty I'm sure.

BBL Brewer has it spot on for the bubbles and I wouldn't worry about layering. I've had beers with 4-5 layers of sediment. Since different compounds settle out at different rates and fall at different rates and have different densities (protein, yeast, grain sediment, hop components, etc...) this is perfectly normal.

You need to sweep your pubes off the floor.

Other than that, everything looks fine and dandy.

lol that floor is nasty! can't even tell with the normal light on, guess the flash shows its true colors!

oh and thanks for all the replies. It was the first i have seen of this, so wasn't sure what to make of it. The beer has turned out very good, now i need to get my keg to pour without all the damn foam.

Back