Fermentaiton lock is icky on primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMega

Reaction score
Hi all. Brewing my second batch, a honey wheat, and this happened to the fermentation lock atop the primary:

http://flic.kr/p/9jKGYt

It's a 6+ gal. bucket so I didn't think I needed a blowoff tube, but with the yellow muck and crusty suds on the lock I'm guessing I should have used one? Looks like a bit of hop ended up in there too...

Second question: Is this a huge problem? I'll probably go to secondary soon at which point it will be moot, but will I experience problems down the road?

Hope the pic is clear enough. If not, it basically looks like foam has come out the fermentation lock and brought a bit of crud with it.

Thanks,

= DM =

You are lucky it didn't clog the hole in the bottom of the airlock. If it did clog the hole it could have blown the top off of the bucket and made a friggin mess. The next time you see that happening, rig a blow off hose.

I usually rig a blow off hose for the first few days of fermenation and then put an airlock after everything calms down. I have never had a lid blow, but I have seen pictures!

Such prompt responses! Love this board. Thanks all, for alleviating my worry.

Back