Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
What is the easiest way for me to keep yeast after I rack to the secondary? NOw that I am using better yeasts I dont want to keep spending 6 bucks a batch. Thanks.

You can put a new brew directley on the yeast in the fermenter or take the yeast and store it.
Have a look through some of the recent treads about racking on a yeast cake and washing yeast.

Lots of current threads discussing this.

I'm tellin' ya'll . . . dedicated yeast cake forum . . .

I am really serious. It can be a place for discussion of yeast strains, yeast harvesting, yeast cake, yeast health, yeast blending.

Plus . . . the mods could sticky the threads about re-pitching on the yeast cake.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/hbyewash.htm
Here's a link from the guys and gals who make the stuff. Hasn't failed me so far but I've only used a yeast a total of 3 passages or 4 times. Growing on plates would allow much longer storage but then again that takes the petri dishes, agar, and media. I do store for long term in the -20°C freezer as glycerol stocks but the viability is way down and it takes about 5 days after reviving before I have a sufficiently healthy starter to pitch. I pitch much less than what comes in the smack packs but I work with bugs for a living and know a few tricks for optimal health. IMHO, it's better to pitch very healthy yeast than to pitch a ton of weak yeasts although I'm certain there are others who disagree.

Back