Is there such a thing as a good, light beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would this taste? I like hops.

Lite Beer
American Pale Ale
All Grain
5 gal. final
6 gal. start
72 % efficiency
6.50 lbs. grain
124.0 calories
$29.13 (USD) total cost
$0.55 (USD) cost per bottle

6 lbs.American 2-row info
.5 lbs.American Caramel 60°L info
1 oz.Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz.Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 20 min. info
1 oz.Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
Yeast : Danstar 3767 Nottingham info

Looks OK to me, although it seems like your costs are pretty high. When I do a the same recipe it only costs me about $12.

Actually, that is just from beertools.

It will cost me:

3oz Cascade $10.20
6lbs 2-Row $6.90
.5lbs Crystal 60 $0.70

umm.. $17.80

I have yeast.

I would like to brew something low on the caloric scale that does not taste plain like "Coors Light".

Can this be done?

Has this been done around here?

Well, I probably cannot help. My heaviest beer is a Belgian Tripel @ 283 cal per 12 oz. My lightest is an APA @ 178 cal per 12 oz

I have never understood why "Light" beers are so popular. If I want to drink a beer, I want to drink a "beer." If you are thinking that alcohol will cause you to add weight, maybe you should consider drinking root beer... or even a nice cold glass of ice water.
Light Beer? Not me.

I'd rather drink one good beer, damn the calories, and a glass of water, than 2 light beers. If I actually liked real light, as in bodied, beers I'm sure I might say otherwise. Just my opinion on the calorie issue. Or get on the treadmill and get off after it says I've burned 250 calories and have a beer, then repeat until I'm either drunk, worn out, or ready for bed hahaha.

Call me crazy, but if you're worried about caloric intake -- I'm surprised you're interested in home brewing. Kind of like when you see mechanics with those black work gloves on... It's like, c'man man -- comes with the territory.

Moreover, it's an excellent excuse to keep yourself on a solid exercise regimen. If you know you have a passion for beer and wish to drink it on a near daily basis, gotta do some jumping jacks. Keep breakfast light and carb-less, lots of water each day with turkey sandwich on wheat... sky's the limit for dinner, within reason.

A brand new local beer bar with 36 taps just opened up 10 minutes from my house. I've been averaging 3 pints a day to complete their "Around The World" challenge. Drink any 36 pints (they rotate often) in any amount of time and you get a tshirt. I plan on burying it in 2 weeks.

I've upped my cardio and actually lost a couple pounds... as well as dollars :/

Go check out a bmr calculator. Then there is a multiplier for your activity level. That way you find out how many cals your body burns a day. Subtract 500 cals from that and you should lose a pound a week, about. If some of those calories come from beer, so be it. But you will lose some weight.

I contemplated the same question not for diet reasons but because I want something really light for the hot summer in Texas. I'm planning to brew a pile of peach Berliner Weiss (something like DFH Festina Peche but lighter) that will clock in around 3% ABV. Since it's sour, I don't expect to have the urge to pound pint after pint of it either, a couple of those and I will be quite happy.

Since it's sour, I don't expect to have the urge to pound pint after pint of it either, a couple of those and I will be quite happy.

This stuff is deceptively wonderful on a hot afternoon - you'll find yourself restrained only by the enamel of your teeth crying out in pain!

While I prefer it "plain", Berliner Weisse is also an excellent "cocktail" beer, if that is the right word. You can mix it with sodas, sparkling water, fruit syrups, fruit juices, etc and get something delicious out of it. I like the Berliner Weisse/Diet Coke combination on ice, for instance. You can drink that stuff all day long!

The low carb recipe from austinhomebrew.com includes Bean-o tabs. I guess that Beano converts the sugars into into either complex (or simple...i dunno) sugars that the yeast cant convert into alcohol or CO2.

I made it with some blueberries and bottled too early...bottle bombs...

I have only done 1 kit. I'm cheap and stick to AG. I could convert it. do you have the ingredient list?

just buy the all-grain kit?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...in-ale-kits/british-bitter-all-grain-kit.html

ingredients list:
http://legacy.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1003.html

they also have bitter kit limited edition kit that they just put out. I haven't tried it.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...e-kits/broken-spear-bitter-all-grain-kit.html

Latest posts

Back