Safbrew # T-58 anybody have experiences w/ this yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Anybody use this yeast? Thinking about using it in my smoked imperial porter.
peppery & spicy w/ the smoke. I originally was looking for at least a neutral ale yeast, but this caught my eye. Imperial porter will be in the 8% range.

Fermentis Yeast from England - Dry Yeast
Safbrew # T-58
Edme Yeast Strain

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

I've used this in a Belgian Noel that I brewed about a month ago. Kicked off huge without a starter but I pitched two packs. From a taste standpoint I can't comment too much as the only one I've tried is one week in the bottle. So far I'm not noticing any spicey or peppery notes but there is a definite banana flavor at the end. I fermented right around 64-65 ambient so it may have fermented in the low 70's. I'll be able to give some better tasting notes in a month or so as I'm not going to crack another one until Thanksgiving.

I have made a Belgian Pale Ale with it, I was suprised at how estery and phenolic it was. It's the only Belgian dry yeast that I know of, and I think it would be a good choice for something really big where you want the Belgian flavor profile but don't wanna build a starter.

I have heard it is a powdered version of the Chimay strain...but that's just what I heard.

I used this in a smoked porter and was really happy with the results. The flavor profile that was described was subdued, but I think it complemented the smoked malt.

I may use the yeast in a stout this season.

I use it in a Belgian Pale Ale (Russian River Redemption clone) and it comes out nice and estery. It is by far the favorite beer of all the people who try my beers. My brother can't keep this stuff on his kegerator either it goes so fast.

This is the yeast I use for my semi-famous (at least among my friends) Dunkelweizen and it has some really nice characteristics as long as you watch your fermentation temp. I let one get away from me, but was still a pretty good beer.

Fermentis Yeast from England - Dry Yeast
Safbrew # T-58
Edme Yeast Strain

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

Where's that description from?

Edme is S33...I've been curious what the source of T-58 is but haven't seen anything mentioned.

I use it for bottle conditioning a lot. I fermented about 3 liters of Schwarzbier with it in the low 60s. It was pretty clean, if anything very slightly peppery. The lager was better, but the few bottles of with T-58 were pretty good. I'm going to try a dark American wheat beer with it soon.

I have just tasted my Patersbier after one week of fermentation, and I think T-58 has a definite Belgian character that compliments the beer very well. I was supposed to pitch Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity, but my LHBS was out of it when I arrived and I had asked for the grains to be ground, so I went ahead and pitched the wort onto a cake of T-58 from my Kriek.

The hydro sample was very reminiscent of Duvel, if lighter in body (about half of the ABV, no surprise there). I think T-58 is a solid performer, and I'll be using it again.

On a side note, I am going to brew the same recipe, this time using the specified Wyeast strain, and do some side-by-side tasting. That will confirm or disconfirm my contention that T-58 has a solid dry Belgian character.

I'll be giving this one a try with my tried and true Dirty Blonde recipe. I have White Labs 500 (Chimay Strain) going on a stirplate, but after 20 hours no sign of life. SWMBO is picking me up two packs of T-58 which I'll pitch with the impotent WLP500. Having brewed this twice before with two other Belgian strains, should make for an interesting experiment at the very least.

got delayed on brewing this imperial smoked porter will post results soon! thanks for all the help in advance! sory for the big lag... but i'm back!

I'll be giving this one a try with my tried and true Dirty Blonde recipe. I have White Labs 500 (Chimay Strain) going on a stirplate, but after 20 hours no sign of life. SWMBO is picking me up two packs of T-58 which I'll pitch with the impotent WLP500. Having brewed this twice before with two other Belgian strains, should make for an interesting experiment at the very least.

OUCH! AN IMPOTENT WLP500! usually a good yeast!

I too have ran late with my batch I'm gonna use T-58 in, I'll be brewing Tuesday. I'm trying a clone of this bier:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=44779
This bier is now discontinued so I won't be able to do a side by side. However the brewer told me they used T-58 to ferment this Krystalweizen with. It's very reminiscent of true hefe character. What's more he told me they brewed it at temps usually between 80-85 degrees. I'm not adventurous enough to go that high, but I am going to ferment in the high 70's because I think it'll take atleast that to bring out enough fruit and banana esters to imprint the bier with a hefe character like the original. I just can't bring myself to let it go to 80+ because I worry about the hot alcohol flavors!

Schlante,
Phillip

OUCH! AN IMPOTENT WLP500! usually a good yeast!

As it turned out, SWMBO did not get to Northern Brewer in time. I managed to reach them on the phone five minutes before closing after letting the phone ring like fifty time. I asked if I could pay for two packs over the phone with a credit card and I would stop by in an hour and pick them up from their mailbox or some other place they could leave them. The idiot on the phone said how could he know for sure someone wouldn't steal them and then I'd blame NB. I told him I'd take the risk for that. He still wouldn't do it, like two packs of dry yeast are the home brewing equivalent of the Hope Diamond and skallywags would be combing the premises for anything they could pilfer.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up remember a friend of mine had an extra pack of WLP500. I asked him to warm it up as I drove across town and pitched it later that night. It fermented out fine and tasted fine going into the secondary.

My next large order went to Midwest Supplies instead. I am glad NB has a local presence now and their specialty grain room is phenomenal, but they have not gone out of their way to win my business. They could drive out every other LHBS shop, but I get next day deliveries via FedEx ground from Midwest.

Well, last night I polished off the last of my first batch made with T-58. It was a very simple Belgian-insipired rye ale, and it was just sublime. I won't change a thing, and that goes especially for the yeast. I fermented around 70 (maybe slightly warmer, but not much), and it came out with a very nice spiciness without too many esters. I have more coming in the mail.

Back