An awesome beer event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Last night i attended the NERAX (New England Real Ale Exhibition) iN Somerville, MA just outside Boston. THe event features nearly 80 varieties of cask conditioned ale from Great Britan and the US. This was beer paradise. I sampled around 15 berws from Whales, England, Scotland and the US. It was intersting to note that all of the GB beers were traditional mild session beers with very few over 4% abv, where a lot of the US brewers go full tilt nad have IPAs with 7+%. I consider it a win-win since i love both styles.

Beers of note:

Youngs had both a standard bitter and a special, both of which are classic English bitters that define the style to me

Scottish Brew: Bannockburn by Bridge of Allan. very nice, malty golden ale.

Wales: Breconshire Golden Valley. an awesome malty, bitter with great fruity aftertaste. apparently it won the CAMRA champion beer of Wales.

US: Stone had both a pale ale and an IPA. THe IPA was just incredible--dry hopped for two weeks and then dry hopped again with whole Chinook flowers, which you could smell and taste. I lvoed it, but I love Chinook.

Probably he beer of the night though was the enar-by Cambridge brew Co's Vienna Gold Altbier. I have never had a beer like it. They describe it as an altbier brewed like a Vienna lagar with 100% vienna malt, Saaz hops, Cologne yeast (I assume kolsch style), lagared like an alt and then dry hopped with Saaz hops.
I will defintely attmpt this beer style down the road.

It continues through Saturday for all you New Englanders...........

Back