Bier Cheese Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sager Brewing Co.

Reaction score
So I was flying through my old home town of Portland OR and I happened to be in the airport terminal that has the Rogue Public house during my layover. I ordered the Bier Cheese Soup and loved it. So I thought I would try to make it at home. I looked up recipes, but could not find theirs. So I found one that I liked and made a few minor adjustments. It turned out ok, but one thing I noticed is that it was a bit Oily(I assume from the cheese I used) but otherwise pretty good. I noticed that some recipes called for 'any cheese' and some called for sharp cheddar. I used mostly medium cheddar and a little fontina.

So question, does sharp cheddar have less oil? If not is there some other cheese good to use that has less oil? I did see one recipe that called for 'fondue' cheese.

i was thinking of trying this myself, as an Iron Chef that was on last night was "Battle Chedder" and the challenger made a Cheese Soup with a Lager.

I like the Iron Chef shows. They are a little cheesy in presentation, but that adds to the drama. Battle Cheddar sounds good. I definitely want to see if I can catch a rerun of that episode.

The main thing to keep in mind when cooking with hard cheeses like cheddar is to slowly incorporate them, otherwise you get a broken glop. I think a beer and cheese soup would be swell for a cold fall/early winter day. Definitely no room for anything other than a cream soup, a bechamel would be one way to go about it. Then add in your beer, slowly while whisking and let it re-thicken. Dilute with some Chicken stock or milk and at the end slowly incorporate your cheese. Keep the heat warm not hot and never boiling or the cheese will break out.

The main thing to keep in mind when cooking with hard cheeses like cheddar is to slowly incorporate them, otherwise you get a broken glop. I think a beer and cheese soup would be swell for a cold fall/early winter day. Definitely no room for anything other than a cream soup, a bechamel would be one way to go about it. Then add in your beer, slowly while whisking and let it re-thicken. Dilute with some Chicken stock or milk and at the end slowly incorporate your cheese. Keep the heat warm not hot and never boiling or the cheese will break out.

I think mine boiled a little bit, is what what made it oily? I was thinking it was just the quality of the cheese or something.

If you are ever in the Atlanta area, stop by the 5 Seasons brewpub in Alpharetta. They serve a Beer and Parmesan Soup, pair that with their Spent Grain Bread....YUM.

If you are ever in the Atlanta area, stop by the 5 Seasons brewpub in Alpharetta. They serve a Beer and Parmesan Soup, pair that with their Spent Grain Bread....YUM.

dang, i was just in alpharetta a couple weeks ago taking a training course with agilent and drove by that place every day. meant to stop in but never did. hows the beer there?

i remember making a beer cheese soup one time and to prevent the cheese from breaking the recipe called for coating the shredded cheddar in a small bit of flour. Worked like a charm whisking it in slowly.

dang, i was just in alpharetta a couple weeks ago taking a training course with agilent and drove by that place every day. meant to stop in but never did. hows the beer there?

Their beer is excellent. I had a Saison there this summer, might be the best I have had.

So I was flying through my old home town of Portland OR and I happened to be in the airport terminal that has the Rogue Public house during my layover. I ordered the Bier Cheese Soup and loved it. So I thought I would try to make it at home. I looked up recipes, but could not find theirs. So I found one that I liked and made a few minor adjustments. It turned out ok, but one thing I noticed is that it was a bit Oily(I assume from the cheese I used) but otherwise pretty good. I noticed that some recipes called for 'any cheese' and some called for sharp cheddar. I used mostly medium cheddar and a little fontina.

So question, does sharp cheddar have less oil? If not is there some other cheese good to use that has less oil? I did see one recipe that called for 'fondue' cheese.

Yes, sharp cheddar is less oily.

We only use sharp for our beer cheese recipe!

I finally remember to dig up my beercheese soup. This makes about a gallon of great cheesey goodness.

12-16oz. beer (don't use a beer with too much hops. A pale ale works really well)
1qt + 1cup chicken/vegetable stock
1qt + 1cup half n half
6oz butter
6oz flour
1 small onion, chopped fine
3 stocks celery, chopped fine
1.5 lbs grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste

Heat butter, onion, and celeray in a large saucepan over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add flour and stir until competely blended. Set aside. In a seperate pot, bring beer and stock to a boil. Bring celery, onion mix back to medium heat. Using a wire whisk slowly whisk in heated stock into the rouxe until any lumps disappear. Turn to a slow simmer then stir in cheese and half n half until smooth. Over low heat simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pepper, then salt to taste. Strain soup for smoother texture, if desired. Dish up, garnish with shredded cheese and chives.

I finally remember to dig up my beercheese soup. This makes about a gallon of great cheesey goodness.

12-16oz. beer (don't use a beer with too much hops. A pale ale works really well)
1qt + 1cup half n half
6oz butter
6oz flour
salt to taste

Heat butter, onion, and celeray in a large saucepan over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add flour and stir until competely blended. Set aside. In a seperate pot, bring beer and stock to a boil. Bring celery, onion mix back to medium heat. Using a wire whisk slowly whisk in heated stock into the rouxe until any lumps disappear. Turn to a slow simmer then stir in cheese and half n half until smooth. Over low heat simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pepper, then salt to taste. Strain soup for smoother texture, if desired. Dish up, garnish with shredded cheese and chives.

This sounds really good. I would avoid any of the typical mega-brand or supermarket-brand cheeses, opting for a hunk of quality cheese and shedding myself.

1qt + 1cup half n half
6oz butter
6oz flour
salt to taste

I cooked this up tonight.

I used extra sharp cheddar from a local organic mart. The flavor of the cheese really dominates the dish and the first bite was a bit of a shock. After the first bite (and as my Duvel Belgian ale started to kick in) I really started to enjoy the dish. I broke up some pieces of whole wheat bread and put it in the soup and it was great. It made me wonder what the soup would taste like with a different type of cheese as that was pretty much the dominating factor. Overall, a good recipe and I would recommend all cheese lovers at least try it. I like to stick to the original recipe at least once, and then deviate from there as I see fit...

My wife makes something very similar to that but adds in potato chunks. We first discovered Beer cheese soup in Golden, CO at Woody's Golden I'm sure you can guess what kind of beer they use in their soup. It's a delicious soup no matter what you think of the beer.

My wife makes something very similar to that but adds in potato chunks. We first discovered Beer cheese soup in Golden, CO at Woody's Golden I'm sure you can guess what kind of beer they use in their soup. It's a delicious soup no matter what you think of the beer.

I think the potato chunks would really help the one above. The entire time I was eating it I was thinking it needed a starch to balance out the cheese, hence the bread. The beer didn't really come through in the soup I made.

Made a great sauce for tonight's dinner...

dinneraw0.jpg

being that i am from wisconsin... i know a thing or 2 about bier cheese soup.

some tips that are a great help.

- never let the soup boil when adding the cheese or after it is added. it becomes clumpy and falls out of the soup at that level of heat.
-sharp cheddar does indeed have less fat. depends on if you care about cheese fat or not in the soup
-german lager style beers are great for beer cheese soup. english and irish ales are also great
- garnish with crisp cooked bacon that you crunch into bacen bits...its awesome
- a little celery and or potato chunks cooked before the soup making process will help to make it more of a meal if you want to go that route.

let me know if anyone wants recipe ideas/feedback or any questions. i love bier cheese soup. or any cheese soup for that matter... broccoli cheddar is another of my favorites.

Back