Bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepySamSlim

Reaction score
Hopefully we will brew our first batch this weekend - so bottling is a ways off. But I want to be sure there are no issues using clear beer bottles. We have something like 6 or 7 cases of Corona bottles that we can use.

Somewhere I read that home brews may have issues in clear bottles as sunlight may stimulate something or other .... wahts the scoop on this

Clear is fine as long as you keep them away from sunlight. I wish I had more actually. Always nice to see color.

Sunlight skunks hops, which is why most brewers avoid them.
Corona is intentionally skunked a bit, which gives it that off taste.

Keep it out of sunlight and it will be OK, as others have noted it's nice to see the color.

Keep the bottles out of the light and you should be fine.

I think that some here have reported that Corona bottles have given some wing cappers fits, so you might want to dry run a couple of caps now to make sure your capper can handle it before you end up with 5gal of primed beer waiting in the bottling bucket...

If you capper doesn't like them you can either use different bottles or snag a bench capper. They are something like $40 but cap many bottles that wing cappers don't like.

wingcapper.jpg

Good photo on the capper issue. I had not idea. I have both kinds though so I should be ok, but I didnt' realize there was a real difference in the neck until now.

+1 on that. Thanks for the pics and description. I knew that my green bottles were harder to cap, but now I know why. :)

Back