How to increase alcohol level in "light" beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBulldogg

Reaction score
I ordered a kit online ... Turns out the full name of my "Continental Lager" kit was "Continental LIGHT Lager" with a really dinky alcohol level. I'd like to bump it up about 2-3% so it gets to a more normal level. Any thoughts on the best way to make this happen without negatively impacting taste?

Thanks,
Matt

either more sugar, or add a very pale Malt extract. The latter will give your beer more body and flavour.

I have made numerous continental light kits. I like to add 2 lbs of honey to the boil and recently I've also added 3 lbs of light dme. Just the honey added makes a big differance, but adding the dme really kicks your butt.

loop

I would say that a 2 to 3% alcohol is a pretty dinky alcohol level. What kind of an alcohol level do they claim you're supposed to get. I made an all grain brew called
(Liberty Cream Ale) . I was disappointed that I only landed up with 3.5% alcohol
by volume. I consider anythig under 3% a soft drink. There is an old song we used to sing in college ( Oh, you can't get drunk on 3 2 beer)

David

Ok, I'll try dumping some sugar into the mix and see what happens. Davidkrau, to clarify, I meant bump it up BY 2-3%, not TO 2-3%. It's supposed to be 3.5% to start, so I'm looking for 6% or so in the end result.

Thanks again for the help guys!
Matt

lyle's golden syrup [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lyle%27s+golden+syrup&btnG=Google+Search[/ame]

will add alcohol and not flavor or affect body, The sweet taste is pure sugar and ferments out.

Back