What "overseas" beer is worth drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Hmm... I now have about 60x 750mL bottles homebrew but only 1 bottle is drinkable/ready...

What exported beers are worth sampling, something new? Any recommendations?

I saw Warsteiner Premium Verum, 4.8% the other day, is it any good? Could always get a good ole Heinekin or Carlsberg or Steinlager but ya get kinda sick of em!

Given that most of us are from the US, you're gonna get little help on this one, since we have no idea what you can get. There are a handful of folks from NZ here, so they might be able to lend a hand.

Warsteiner usually makes a decent beer. What else is available?

Given that most of us are from the US, you're gonna get little help on this one, since we have no idea what you can get. There are a handful of folks from NZ here, so they might be able to lend a hand.

Warsteiner usually makes a decent beer. What else is available?

We get a lot of beers from Germany/Holland/England. All the main exported beers from these countrys and also others too really. There are a few from the US also. Heaps of ales from London, like Fullers London Pride etc. Its hard to pronounce some of the names so my memory not the best!

Fuller's ESB would be good. It's widely available. Nice balance of hops and malt.

Heres some of the lagers I wrote down...

Turborg Pilsner
Oranjeboom Plager - Holland
Contina Pure Cerveza
Hofbrau Munchen, Hofbrau Original - have tried this one
Carlsberg Elephant
Lowenbrau Original
Kronenbourg 1664
Peroni Nastro Gzzurro
Grolsch
Tiger Beer
Budejovicky Budvai Czech

Spelling is as close as I can get trying to read my own writing lol

Of those, Hofbrau and Budvar are the only ones I'd bother paying to drink.

IMHO, Tuborg, Oranjeboom, Carlsberg, Peroni, Grolsch, and Tiger are all crap.

Thanks - will put Budvar on my short list of "to trys". Iv tried the Hofbrau and didn't mind it either.

Have a tried Kronenbourg 1664? Its been around for awhile at least...

Imported beers? Get into the NZ micro brews!! We don't know how lucky we are! Try one of those Captain Cook ones, or the Cardrona or something. http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/beers.html

Also a litte more mainstream but still kind of off the run-of-the-mill list... get your mitts on Ngahere Gold from Harringtons (about 8%) or Mangatinoka Dark (by Tui).

:)

Add Carlsberg Elephant to the list of crap....

My old man used to drink this like 12+yrs ago...I bought it for him to have over the weekend. He really appreciated it and drank most of the 6er. I tried one after he had left and dumped the rest of the bottle....man it SUCKED.

Only good thing about it was that it hid it's 7.2% well....if you're into that...

Imported beers? Get into the NZ micro brews!! We don't know how lucky we are! Try one of those Captain Cook ones, or the Cardrona or something. http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/beers.html

Also a litte more mainstream but still kind of off the run-of-the-mill list... get your mitts on Ngahere Gold from Harringtons (about 8%) or Mangatinoka Dark (by Tui).

:)

Iv tried the Harringtons Pilsner and thought it was pretty average for a pils... is so many NZ ones like the Moa ones etc, hard to know if any good!

Whats FWIW? Yeah I like Pale Ales too ;-) With dark beers its either good or bad with me. I quite like the NZ Montieths Black....

I happen to love Oranjeboom and Lowenbrau - both affordable and refreshing.

I wouldn't say I love Oranjeboom, but I'd rather drink it than BMC. In fact, I've got a clone of it on tap right now and it is very nice. It is seriuosly poundable. My wife has called dibs on it. At a tasting in the fall we had some Oranjeboom and we could swear it had some corn in it, so that's what I did. I would classify (BJCP) what I brewed as a Premium American lager. A hint of corn and a slightly noticible hoppiness, not enough to qualify as a CAP. I just sent some off to a contest, we'll see how it does.

The Kronenbourg 1664 isnt so good. I had it when I was in Myrtle Beach for spring break this year and it was a typical light lager, very BMC-ish.

Get some Bass or Newcastle!

Another vote for sapporo. And it comes in a huuge, cool can :D. Definitely don't judge Harringtons on that pils. Where in NZ are you? Heard of Twisted Hop?

Yes Iv been to Twisted Hop once, and love their beers on tap. Am in CHCH NZ. The Harringtons Pilsner tasted no better then a Monteiths Pils, and had been drinking Pilsner Urquell a couple days before...

Do you like the Brew Moon NZ beers?

Back