Pilsner Malt and DMS Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm considering getting Bohemian Pilsner Malt as my base malt for an upcoming brew. My concern is whether or not that malt will be more apt to produce DMS. If so, will 5.2 stabilizer help prevent it?

It is quite a bit more apt to produce DMS, but pH has little to do with it. Typically, DMS is combated with a longer boil, as DMS is volatile and driven off in a boil. That is why you often hear about people boiling their lagers for 75-90 minutes or even more. Believe me, you often can smell the corn coming off those boils, too.

Also, chilling your wort is important to minimize further DMS formation once the wort is below DMS's boiling point.

TL

+1 on what Tex said.

DMS causing compounds are driven off during the longer boil, but they actually make DMS during the cool down, so you'll want to do a 90 min boil, get good evaporation, and cool quickly.

Back