Spent grains and fishing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EvilTOJ said:
I don't see why it wouldn't be illegal if the grain is all stored inside the trap. It'd probably keep together better if the grain was all frozen, then put into the trap. I think next time I go to the coast to go crabbing I'll do the same thing.

Chumming for fish is illegal here. But bait traps for crabs are not.

Actually it's the feds that regulate BC coastal waters and I know it used to be ok to pour attractant on lures, but actual baiting I believe was illegal.

Freshwater is more strict.

Anyway. Yeah, let me know how the grain bait works for crabs.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Chumming for fish is illegal here. But bait traps for crabs are not.

Actually it's the feds that regulate BC coastal waters and I know it used to be ok to pour attractant on lures, but actual baiting I believe was illegal.

Freshwater is more strict.

Anyway. Yeah, let me know how the grain bait works for crabs.

I've used livers wrapped up inside SWMBO short nylon sock or a snipping of pantyhose. I suppose you could put stopper on line and rig a tiny/small grain chum bag with a safety pin. It would act like an egg sinker. Then have whatever bait on a hook ditty-boppin' on the bottom.

Damn... use a hop or grain bag tied to the line. It could slip up & down the line.

My pond is still frozen - wish for warm weather... please.

+1 on the liver in a pantie hose pouch! I spent years watching my liver fly off my treble hooks until I tried this. You can also tie it on with some string if in a bind.

avidhomebrewer said:
Don't catfish eat just about anything?

More or less. The really big ones like live bait. Shad or perch. The smaller ones (Two to five pounders) are the scavengers that will eat about anything with a scent. I don't like eating the larger ones as you get more of the "fishy" taste. IMHO two to three pounders are the best. That is not to say that the monsters are not fun as hell to catch.:rockin:

Alright, ya want to catch cats, get some Sony's Super Sticky stink bait. This is by far the best bait made. We fish every week and have tried everything. I live on the Mississippi and have been catching cats all my life. I have been saving all my spent grains all winter and am planning on using them this summer to chum. I'll keep you posted.

Redweasel said:
More or less. The really big ones like live bait. Shad or perch. The smaller ones (Two to five pounders) are the scavengers that will eat about anything with a scent. I don't like eating the larger ones as you get more of the "fishy" taste. IMHO two to three pounders are the best. That is not to say that the monsters are not fun as hell to catch.:rockin:

The BIG ones, 30+lbs are great eating if you smoke them like my dad does. He cuts them into 3" thick slabs, make his special rub from brown sugar, onions and a few other special ingredients and smokes them in his giant smokehouse on wheels! Leave the skin on....

MMmmmmmm Smoked Catfish.....

Almost as good as his smoked Carp!

Its finally thawed! :rockin: Here's a panarama of the nice pond.

Northeast....
beer_photos_0011.jpg

Due East... the brewery is 250' behind me at this point.
beer_photos_002.jpg

Southeast...
beer_photos_003.jpg

Time to get the poles ready!

Schlenkerla said:
Its finally thawed! :rockin: Here's a panarama of the nice pond.

Northeast....
beer_photos_0011.jpg

Due East... the brewery is 250' behind me at this point.
beer_photos_002.jpg

Southeast...
beer_photos_003.jpg

Time to get the poles ready!

Very Nice! Once again jealousy ensues.

I'm going to brew this weekend and let the spent grains sour for a week. Next weekend I am going to use them to bait around my trot line. I will report my success, the only other time I did this every hook on the trotline had a fish on it.

I was checking kijiji (Canadian Classifieds) today...and saw a portable fishing chair
I thought it would be nice to have but for $30 just as easy to build;
fishing_chair_parts.jpg

the holder is a 1.5" diameter pipe about 9" long with electrical tape to attach to chair

Here is the holder with it installed on the diagonal strut of a standard folding chair;
fishing_chair.jpg

Happy fishing
BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck said:
I was checking kijiji (Canadian Classifieds) today...and saw a portable fishing chair
I thought it would be nice to have but for $30 just as easy to build;
fishing_chair_parts.jpg

the holder is a 1.5" diameter pipe about 9" long with electrical tape to attach to chair

Here is the holder with it installed on the diagonal strut of a standard folding chair;
fishing_chair.jpg

Happy fishing
BeerCanuck

Nice! I'm ghetto-old school and still use a forked stick stuck in the ground.

I used my spent grains as bait to attract the catfish to my trot line. I used perch on the hook. I caught quite a few, when I was cleaning them their bellies were full of the spent grains.

Very nice! Looks like this experiment is going to be a success! Haven't even got to go out once yet.:( Soon though.

I usually dump out the trub pile on my garden area....this has got me thinking :)

And for my favorite fishing rig its got to be a pickerel rig;
pickerel-rig.jpg

Works great once you find a hot spot

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Did not know it was called a pickerel rig. That is what I usualy use when "drift" fishing.

Giving this a bump because it is cold outside and I stayed up all night putting new line on all the reels while wishing for sunshine and warm water. I know it is just now late Fall/Early Winter but I'm already dreaming of warm sunshine and pretty ladies wearing....Oh well, I like tight turtle necks too I guess.

what I have done for years down her in Texas

go to the day old bread store

buy a bunch of corn and flour tortillas

put in a burlap sack

hang off the dock about a foot off the bottom

the catfish just love it

I love to fish. I prefer ocean to fresh water fishing. I also get seasick at the drop of a hat. People tell me that the reason I catch so many fish is because I'm always chumming.

Whatever works. :D

Back