Why does Homebrew seem to get me so buzzed? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back on topic, I find that a 32oz bottle of my 8 point cider gets me feeling just right just about the same as a sixer. The next day feeling is different then store beer, sort of fuzzy feeling.

Guys. Its filtering. ABV, hop euphoria, freshness, taste, bigger pours, surroundings and mood aside, how many homebrewers actually filter their product? The vast majority leave it just clear enough or even cloudy. Most breweries/ wineries microfilter sediment and yeast out of their product for consistency and Joe consumer who might think he is patient zero after realizing his half empty bottle isn't crystal clear.

The above factors come into play as well but I believe filtering to be the most important. The less filtered/ cleared a beverage is, the greater the volume of and categories of chemicals are present. Your liver and gut have to deal with these in addition to the alcohol. As another forum post put it - 'Like digesting a glass of water vs a 4-course meal.' A drink laden with many other chemicals besides alcohol gets into your gut and is absorbed. Alcohol is a relatively tiny molecule and if your gut and then liver were busy with an onslaught of phytonutrients and sediments, it could easily pass through the intestinal wall/ linger in bloodstream longer than usual.

:pipe:
Just a theory!

A good post is a good post, no matter how old.

I notice the same medicinal effects drinking home brew. I brew "Chair Ales" like 10% Belgians and after one 20oz bottle I'm feeling the affects. I'm 300lbs (260 lbs of it muscle) and when I didn't know any better and drank crap beer I could drink them like water with minimal affect and wake up in the morning with a terrible head ache and digestive issues. Home brew doesn't give me any ill affects, even when drinking "too much" :tank:. Not to mention the great feeling of drinking something I made after years of trial and error. I even almost gave up a couple of times.

This post was 3 years old... You saw that, right?

I ONLY use Google to search for home brewing related answers. Forum posts I click on may be as old as the forum itself, but they may still hold the answer to my query. Others will read what we're writing in the future. That's how forums work.

Back