Fermentation temp control with no space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHhomebrewer

Reaction score
I have been reading that the next step to brewing better beer is temperature control. I have radiant heat and One of my main issues is space. I live in a studio apartment and have a mini fridge that fits one Korny keg and the co2 tank and regulator, so a temp controller on that really isnt an option. I have a real problem with keeping temperatures steady where that be in the primary or secondary stages. Does anyone have an suggestions or have had a similar issues. I'd love to buy a chest freezer and a temperature controller but it's just not feasible.

As another apartment brewer, what I do is use a big plastic tote bin, stick my fermenter inside it, surround it with water, and swap out bottles filled with ice as needed. It's not as effective as a freezer with temp control, and requires a lot more maintenance, but it works. I can keep fermentation at 64 (where I ferment most of my beers) swapping out a gallon milk jug filled with ice once a day. Search "swamp cooler" on here and you'll find other ideas based off the same concept.

As another apartment brewer, what I do is use a big plastic tote bin, stick my fermenter inside it, surround it with water, and swap out bottles filled with ice as needed. It's not as effective as a freezer with temp control, and requires a lot more maintenance, but it works. I can keep fermentation at 64 (where I ferment most of my beers) swapping out a gallon milk jug filled with ice once a day. Search "swamp cooler" on here and you'll find other ideas based off the same concept.

This is what I do as well with a round 18gal plastic bucket. Right now, I don't use any ice bottles and my temps are between 62-64. In the summer I imagine I'll be using ice bottles and a wet t-shirt over the top.

You should use yeast that works well at higher temperature. I use WLP530, a Belgian yeast that produces plum flavors. It works well anywhere from 70-85 degrees. The higher you take it, the more dark plum flavor. I've been using it all the time for a year.

I most recently got into using brett brux. Apparently it likes the exact same temps. Luckily I love Belgian and all-brett beers. I also have a fermentation chamber but I don't really care to use it, Belgians ftw. :rockin:

You should use yeast that works well at higher temperature. I use WLP530, a Belgian yeast that produces plum flavors. It works well anywhere from 70-85 degrees. The higher you take it, the more dark plum flavor. I've been using it all the time for a year.

I most recently got into using brett brux. Apparently it likes the exact same temps. Luckily I love Belgian and all-brett beers. I also have a fermentation chamber but I don't really care to use it, Belgians ftw. :rockin:

+1 Belgian FTW. Allow your conditions to work for you, not against you

Latest posts

Back