old carboys with wine in them still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy five carboys that still have wine in them. They are any where from 5-10 years old. They have airlocks on them. I think that one or two of the air locks might be dry.

Here are my questions:
Is the wine still good to bottle?

If they airlock is dry, is there anything wrong with the product inside?

What would be a reasonable price for them?

I dont want to rip the lady off. She is my best friend from high schools mother. Her brother was into homebrewing but he passed away a year ago. I have already bought some little stuff off of her that he had. She wants the stuff gone. If the wine is no good then I will just clean up the carboys really well and have 5 "new" carboys. She also wants us to take the wine rack he used to keep his bottled wine in and the already bottled wine and empty bottles for bottling. I think we just hit the JACKPOT.

Thanks for the help.

Really a taste-test is all it takes. Wine will 'die' or turn to vinegar or be okay.

Fair price for a good glass used carboy of of CL is about 25 bucks in my opinion...

Taste it...if it's good...bottle it and drink...if not...dump it...

I bought some beer supplies off of a guy and in it were some full bottles of beer labeled 1990 Porter... They sounded and smelled good when opened...but I was chicken to drink more then a sip or two....lol

Don't know what is it worth, but trying the wine will tell you. Say $30 each and give the lady 3-6 bottles of each wine that was salvageable as a gift from her late brother. Might be a nice gesture.

Back