How munch hose length needed for beer lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
"The Guy" at my LHBS says a minimum of 8' of beer line is needed. I just bought a dual draft tower with 5' of line for each tap. Will the short beer line make my beer foamy?

Even though I don't have a kegging system yet, I've done research and learned that kegging line is way more complicated than it should be.

I know what you mean, but it's really not that bad. Instead of starting with the supposed ideal length, you can use well over the anticipated length and see if it works. IME you have to go way too long before your pour is not vigorous enough.

Even though I don't have a kegging system yet, I've done research and learned that kegging line is way more complicated than it should be.

Here's a link on "balancing your keg lines"

http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/kegbalance.shtml

I agree with you but I wouldn't call the page you linked to the answer to all the complication. The answer is to install 10' of 3/16" ID beverage line, try it out and cut some off a foot at a time if the pour is too slow. It's as simple as that. After all the calculators and BS, you get the foot note that actual resistance of the line varies (quite a bit).....which therefore means the calculations are inherently inaccurate.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the page I linked to wasn't the definitive source. I did find a better calculator somewhere else, but I couldn't find that one.

Back