Bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clindt

Reaction score
I do not have a bottling bucket and my primary has another beer fermenting in it. Is it ok for me to use a SS brew kettle as my bottling bucket? I want to transfer the beer to it and prime in the kettle rather than the carboy. My brew kettle is 7.5 gal so it is large enough for the whole batch.

Are there any disadvantages to using my kettle as a bottling bucket?

Thanks

The only thing I would do would be to cover the kettle while bottling out of it, to minimize the chance of infection.

ajf said:
A bottling bucket with a spigot would be easier to use than a kettle without a spigot.

-a.

Not if you've got a racking cane, siphon hose, and bottling wand. :)

grnich said:
Not if you've got a racking cane, siphon hose, and bottling wand. :)

I bottle in batches of 12 bottles. I don't need the spigot to fill one batch of bottles, as the bottling wand does an excellent job of stopping the flow, but at the end of the batch, I cap the dozen bottles, refill the bottling tray with the next dozen drained bottles, take a dozen bottles from the sanitizing bucket, and put them in the draining bucket, and add another dozen bottles to the sanitizing bucket.

Turning the beer flow off at the spigot while I do this makes it much easier.

-a.

I have an auto-siphon, hose and bottling wand, so it sounds like I am set for bottling my first brew! :ban:

Back