Jaggery in an IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up some jaggery for my saison I'm brewing up tomorrow. I also picked up some with thoughts of using it in an IIPA to keep the body on the light side. With that said will the flavor of the sugar be lost? These brews will be my first use of the sugar and considering its cost (very little) I'm not worried if the flavor is drowned out but figured I'd see if anyone would advise against using it in an IPA. Ooh I'm planning on using 1.5lbs in the IPA with a 17lb grain bill.

Mosher in Radical Brewing says it has a mild buttery maple flavor. Also that it was used in historical English ales. He has one recipe w/ jaggery and ~5oz. of english hops in it, but as they are mild flavored, would probably let the jaggery shine thru. I'd guess that the delicate flavor would be lost in the IIPA.

Mosher is describing palm jaggery which was the original jaggery but given demand outside of sri lanka and southern india (where the sugar palm grows) most of it is made with sugar cane. Sugar cane jaggery tastes like any other minimally refined sugar cane product.

In either case, I wouldn't probably choose an American IPA type thing to use it in.

Well after some research one of my cones is probably the cane sugar jaggery, the one going in my saison. The other cone probably is the same but I have no way of telling. It just says jaggery with no descriptor on the package like Gur on the other one.

I've made a medium belgian beer with jaggery/gur that I got from an Indian market, and the taste was overwhelming to me - it was the only thing that I could taste in the beer. Only half a pound in a 5 gallon batch. It might have been the freshness of the jaggery, but I won't be using it in any future beers. Then again, some of my friends love the taste of it though, so it could be just me who doesn't like it.
Try cutting a big chunk of it off and tasting it first to see if it's to your liking.

I did some jaggery in an IPA once and while it smelled absolutely fantastic in the fermentor, the hops did overpower the jaggery after dry hopping. I keep it around still because I figure its going to provide a little more flavor than plain old sucrose or dextrose if I need to thin out a beer.

I wonder if you could let your beer ferment without the jaggery, then caramelize some jaggery in a pan and add that to the batch. The longer you cook it in the pan, the less fermentable it is, right? If so, you could add this jaggery caramel to the beer and not have the fermentation blow out the volatile and delicious jaggery flavors.

Back