growing hops in iowa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummybeer

Reaction score
been thinking about growing hops. anybody have any suggests on what multi-purpose hops grow best in iowa? :mug:

I have had good luck with cascades. In fact one of my cascades has two bines almost 4 feet up the line already this year so far. My goldings have not done well but so far my willamette is looking better this year. This is all I have tried here in Iowa and I am only on my second year.

I have had good luck with cascades. In fact one of my cascades has two bines almost 4 feet up the line already this year so far. My goldings have not done well but so far my willamette is looking better this year. This is all I have tried here in Iowa and I am only on my second year.

did you plant your rhizomes in a flower pot or directly into the ground? would it be best for the plant to be in full sunlight or partial sun/shade?

Sun over no sun. Water over no water. Good soil over bad soil.
If you're a brewer pick a hop you think you will use. I started with Casacade because everyone (including me) likes Cascade.

Right now I've got a 'surplus' Cascade that I'm growing in shallow earth with no water and little sun light. What ever comes up is bonus cascade. My dog has been laying on top of the hop bed because it's so cool there. To get her off it I put a steel drum on top of the hop bed. When I peak under the drum, do I see 1st year Cascade trying to squeeze past the steel drum and find my trellis? Yep. I'm practically trying to kill this rhizome and it's finding a way to grow.

I would focus on getting your hops in the ground and then focus on what your trellis is going to look like. Hops will try to grow despite you. Get your rhizomes if you still can and get them in the ground. Worse case senario, you can adjust as you go, but you need to start first. Good luck.

I agree with what Retrofit says. Get 'em in the ground with plenty of sun. A place that does not stay damp is good too. Water em daily or so and they will grow. First year is tough to get a good yield anyways.

Im in E. Iowa on the Mississippi, but I have 6 varieties planted and the only one not doing anything are Chinooks, and I just planted Centennial and Columbus yesterday, so time will tell on those. But Out of everything else my Nuggets have taken off great everything is growing, but not like the Nuggets.

another question comes to mind on growing hops.
when i harvest the hop cones, is there a step or process that takes place before i use the hops in the wort?

Back