New guy seeking advice on equipment, extracts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oahu

Reaction score
Hi all, I am getting together the equipment to make my first batch from extract. I have loads of questions:

1) I don't live within 200 miles of a HB shop. Which is the best starter kit online? I want something quality. Recommended upgrades would be appreciated.

2) Where do you guys get your bottles? I don't want to drink that much Grolsch.

3) Where's the best place to get extract kits? Can someone recommend a decent hefeweizen kit? I promised the wife I'd try and make that first.

Appreciated in advance. Thanks.

Oahu said:
Hi all, I am getting together the equipment to make my first batch from extract. I have loads of questions:

1) I don't live within 200 miles of a HB shop. Which is the best starter kit online? I want something quality. Recommended upgrades would be appreciated.

2) Where do you guys get your bottles? I don't want to drink that much Grolsch.

3) Where's the best place to get extract kits? Can someone recommend a decent hefeweizen kit? I promised the wife I'd try and make that first.

Appreciated in advance. Thanks.

Where to start! We have a pretty good thread on the equipment/supply websites, pick one close to you and what you think is fair for shipping and overall prices.
Its right HERE.
Morebeer offers free shipping so that might be a good place to start if you are going to buy the equipment kit.

As for a beginner kit--I would stay away from Mr. Beer because you will want to upgrade immediately. I'd recommend the intermediate kits that start with the basics--every brewing website has one. Here is an example:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/equipkit.asp

It will include everything you need to brew awesome beer on a tight budget. You'll eventually want to upgrade some of that equipment, but every brewer is different. You can also buy bottles on all these sites--but better yet the equipment kits I suggested above comes with a capper so you can re-cap used bottles you saved. They don't need to be the Grolsh style, only the NON twist-off type.

As for ingredients--the selection is awesome depending on what you want. Most online shops have pretty much any style. The kit will come with everything you need to brew. I'd recommend buying a kit that you can steep grains in. It will add loads of depth to your beer and its a simple step during the process.

The best advice I can give is hang out here, ask questions, read threads, and research what you need by searching around. If you can't find an answer--post and more than likely someone will get back to you!!!

All good advice, but I'd like to add a few things...

1) You can get your bottles from your friends. Just let them know you want non-twist off type bottle. Yes, they can help you with the Grolsch bottles if they drink it.

2) As for the kits, the BEST thing you can do to improve your end product is to use liquid yeast, especially for the HW.

I buy from Midwest also.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Brewing! :D

I really appreciate the info. Midwest looks like a great supplier (prices are decent too) and I think I have my kit picked out. I am still wondering if the secondary fermentation Carboy is necessary at this stage....

The link to the online dealers was great, and I will definitely be using liquid yeast in my hefe.

Thanks again.

Oahu said:
I I am still wondering if the secondary fermentation Carboy is necessary at this stage....

The link to the online dealers was great, and I will definitely be using liquid yeast in my hefe.

Thanks again.

welcome aboard and glad your make'n the jump to homebrew!

i'd recommend a carboy for secondary use. it'll help the beer clarity and ,IMHO, the flavor. this is debatable to some, but most use a secondary before they bottle or keg. plus, if you get to brewing IPA'a or APA's, you can dry hop for added aroma. and for sure go with a liquide yeast strain. as you go, you'll see little things that you can tweak to improve your brews. and not all cost a lot of $$$$....

good luck w/ the inaugural brew! :D

I'm a newbie as well. I have completed 3 brews and it is a blast! My recommendation is do not worry about secondary fermentation for now....get the process down and use single fermentation. The beer will be very good with only a single fermentation and you won't have to worry about contamination when transfering to a secondary container.

Personally I'm in no hurry to start doing secondary fermentations... I have spoken with many homebrewers (some with 20+ years experience) and most of them only do single fermentations when they are doing extract brews. Just my 2 cents...I'm NO expert!! :p

Back