Looking to get my dad into home brewing for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew4U

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I don't know the first thing about brewing.

I've seen those cheap kits around Target and Macy's to brew your own beer and I know my dad would love to get into that!

Obviously, I don't want to start him off with some cheap $100 gimmick from target. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction of some nice brewing equipment for him!

Not sure if it helps, but one of his favorite beers is Boulevard Wheat.

Thanks! :mug:

If you are referring to the Mr Beer kits, that cheap $100.00 gimmick is where many people get/got their start and if you've never brewed beer before it's an inexpensive way to brew some beer without making a huge initial investment. Those LBKs come in handy down the line if you do become obsessed and decide to expand your beer brewing horizons.

RagingBull said:
If you are referring to the Mr Beer kits, that cheap $100.00 gimmick is where many people get/got their start and if you've never brewed beer before it's an inexpensive way to brew some beer without making a huge initial investment. Those LBKs come in handy down the line if you do become obsessed and decide to expand your beer brewing horizons.

+1. A lot of what you do in Mr. Beer applies to what you do with bigger kits.

WhiteEagle1 said:
I started with a Coopers Kit.....I'd say it's a step up from Mr. Beer.

Has coopers gotten around to improving the mr beer kits now that they own them?

yep, that was my point. Fermentation is fermentation no matter what the fermentation vessel is.

I would look for a local homebrew shop and find a starter kit that they have. That way your dad could easily pick out a beer styke to make. Plus it never hurts to now the local shop.

If you are referring to the Mr Beer kits, that cheap $100.00 gimmick is where many people get/got their start and if you've never brewed beer before it's an inexpensive way to brew some beer without making a huge initial investment.
I agree its the way to go to get your feet wet, if you jump straight into the deep end its a good way to end up ovewhelmed and frustrated instead of enjoying the experience. And be sure to also have him sign up for this site, its a wealth of information and help for the beginner to the seasoned pro.

I know I'm a little biased, but +1 on it being a great way to get started!

Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I don't know the first thing about brewing.

I've seen those cheap kits around Target and Macy's to brew your own beer and I know my dad would love to get into that!

Obviously, I don't want to start him off with some cheap $100 gimmick from target. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction of some nice brewing equipment for him!

Not sure if it helps, but one of his favorite beers is Boulevard Wheat.

Thanks! :mug:

Is he interested in brewing? Not that it's terrible hard but it does require some level of dedication. Point being, I'd guess a good many gift beer kits end up in the garage gathering dust after a batch or two.

If he's interested, then here's another vote for a nice starter set from your local homebrew store or a great online vendor like Austin Homebrew. Mr. Beer is fine, and some folks make some tasty beer with it... but most guys would probably prefer a "real" homebrewing starter kit.

Here's a nice place to start. One of these and a pot are all that you need. Well, and ingredients or a recipe kit.

Decide to get into yourself. Buy him all the stuff you want. Hope he doesn't get into it. Take it all to your garage in February!

Seriously, Mr. Beer isn't a bad way to go. It's a lot of work for a little beer - that might be a turn off, but its a good primer on what is involved.

The MB kit should be great. It's a proven concept and introduces him to the hobby. Not sure what your fathers age but he may not be interested in toting around the standard 5 gal systems. I have a middle of the road system but would still love a Mr B kit to fiddle with. I say go for it

BTW, whatever you decide to get, make it something that you can brew together and crack open the first beer together. It will make for a lasting memory even if the beer sucks. Point is to enjoy those moments together because trust me, they're fleeting.

You're right on target there,gunny. My father was also my friend. For many guy type things he taught me,including pit bbq wild game & such. I say get him the basic brewing kit from midwest,since it's only $65.
It'sbviously your job to teach him in a way that will make such precious memories when he's gone. Trust me...I still feel the sting in my heart. Do it. Get close to him with this. you will not be sorry.

We have some great deals to get your father started. Check out our Brew On A Budget kit.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=13389

Its a great way to get started and we can walk you through the rest of what you would need and walk him through each of the steps of making it.

Give us a call and/or check out our site. We will even give you a coupon to get him some free shipping for his next order.

If it's something you think he'll really like with I'd say invest in a quality starter kit. If he has a good first experience brewing, he is far more likely to do it again and again. The biggest problem with brewing kits as gifts is that how good the gift is largely depends on the execution of the person receiving it. Nothing wrong with the Mr. Beer kits at all, but imo a little more investment can go a long way.

$45 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

$75 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

$140 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

When you look at the minimal additional cost compared to equipment that is a foundation for expansion and will last you for years, it's a no brainer imho. I started with the last one (Intermediate plus) and couldn't imagine having started another way.

you got a solid 5 gal brew kettle. all of the fermenting siphoning and bottling equipment you need. Plus your first brew kit and bottles for your first batch. I'd suggest the Amber Ale, although the Irish stout is highly rated as well. The only Additional equipment I would recommend he buy after his first batch or two is a wort chiller (another thing i couldnt live without now that I've used one).

Hope this helps!

A small side note, in the dvd instructions that come with the midwest kits the first step to the homebrewing process is to have a homebrew! this is a crucial first step.

If it's something you think he'll really like with I'd say invest in a quality starter kit. If he has a good first experience brewing, he is far more likely to do it again and again. The biggest problem with brewing kits as gifts is that how good the gift is largely depends on the execution of the person receiving it. Nothing wrong with the Mr. Beer kits at all, but imo a little more investment can go a long way.

$45 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

$75 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

$140 more than a Mr. Beer Kit.

When you look at the minimal additional cost compared to equipment that is a foundation for expansion and will last you for years, it's a no brainer imho. I started with the last one (Intermediate plus) and couldn't imagine having started another way.

you got a solid 5 gal brew kettle. all of the fermenting siphoning and bottling equipment you need. Plus your first brew kit and bottles for your first batch. I'd suggest the Amber Ale, although the Irish stout is highly rated as well. The only Additional equipment I would recommend he buy after his first batch or two is a wort chiller (another thing i couldnt live without now that I've used one).

Hope this helps!

This is what I'd do.

Rick

techbrewie said:
A small side note, in the dvd instructions that come with the midwest kits the first step to the homebrewing process is to have a homebrew! this is a crucial first step.

This has always confused me... If your just starting out brewing, where does that 1st home brew come from. It's the whole chicken and egg thing, but with beer... Sounds like a great Christmas idea!

Back