Secondary and temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I got a nice active fermentation going on a DFH 60 clone in my basement which, at this time of year, holds at a nice steady 60-62 degrees. I plan on racking to a secondary when fermentation is done and was curious as to whether this temp it too low or should I bring it upstairs where we keep a fairly steady 72 degrees. Will definitely bring it to the warmer climate for bottling. As always, thanks for the help.

I'm a noob, but it shouldn't be a problem for the secondary. Temp is most important for the fermentation process.

My bigger beers I let ferment for the first 4-5 days at the 62-64 ish range. Then I turn up the space heater to bring the ambient up to around 68-70 for the next 10-15 days.

Once your beer is in the secondary, the warmer temp is is no issue. In fact, it will insure that you didn't have incomplete fermentation due to the lower range. The higher temps also allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and eliminate diacetyl.

My bigger beers I let ferment for the first 4-5 days at the 62-64 ish range. Then I turn up the space heater to bring the ambient up to around 68-70 for the next 10-15 days.

Once your beer is in the secondary, the warmer temp is is no issue. In fact, it will insure that you didn't have incomplete fermentation due to the lower range. The higher temps also allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and eliminate diacetyl.

Awesum. That is the method I use to ensure complete fermentation, and wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. if Biermuncher does it, it's good enough for me!

Back