becoming a brew master?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaper79

Reaction score
Hey everybody i was wondering how one might go about becoming a brewmaster so that maybe they could become a micro brewer or work for a large company like coors. Im currently obtaining a bussiness degree from chico state and have absoloutely fallen in love with brewing. I would really love to continue my degree and get an education in brewing so that maybe i could become a brew master. Does anybody know how somebody could do this?

They also have a brewing program at CSU in Fort Collins, CO. And technically, this makes you a Master Brewer, not a brewmaster, which is done through apprenticeship in Germany, but who says you even need a formal education.

There's nothing that says you can't become a head brewer by starting at the bottom at some micro cleaning mash tuns and working your way up to assistant brewer after, oh, a couple years, then moving into a head brewer type position after oh, another 10 when the head that is there decides to leave, etc. Heck, you may even need to start lower than "head" or "master" with an education, but I'd say you at least have some shot to start near the top with education (even if its at a smallish/startup operation)...

But I would say the formal education (like offered at USC, Seibel Institute, etc.) would be crucial if you want to take this seriously and jump into brewing (as opposed to being a cellar-boy) quickly, without a long wait.

Going on interviews saying you have HB experience and thats it will get you in the door in some cases, but nowhere near the top... A lot of it may also be luck (without education). Will you work for a head brewer for a few years that quits and allows you to move into the position (if you have indeed picked up the necessary skills and experience), etc.

At least you are still young and getting your education and have figured out that this is what you possibly want to do. I'd love to get some formal brewing education, but I can't just quit my job and do so. And I can't just take a cellar-boy job as the paycut would be immense...

Good luck in your pursuit!!

Here is what monster has to say about it....

Brewmaster

FACTOIDS:

• The top three beer producing states in the US are California, Texas and Colorado.

• The world's top five beer producers are the US, China, Germany, Brazil and Japan.

• Beer is among the goods the government uses to calculate the Consumer Price Index, which is used to measure inflation.
THE JOB

* Brewmasters oversee and direct the beer-brewing process, doing everything from raw material selection to recipe formulation.
* They are responsible for the ultimate quality of both the beer produced and, at smaller breweries, the packaging in which it is shipped.
* They are held accountable for budgeting and financial planning as well as managing the staff of brewers.

SKILLS

* To advance to the position of brewmaster at a small brewery, a brewer needs to work at least five years in the beer-brewing field, gaining a complete understanding of the brewing processes. At large breweries, it often takes 15 years of industry experience to become a brewmaster.
* Brewmasters must have good organizational and planning skills to successfully manage the logistics-heavy brewing process.
* Good interpersonal skills are also a must, because brewmasters manage anywhere from six to 50 brewers and other workers.

EDUCATION

* Although there is no universal requirement for brewers, the certificate from the Institute and Guild of Brewing (IGB) is internationally recognized. Although the IGB is based in London, you can prepare for the test in the US at the Siebel Institute of Technology in Chicago and take the test in America. The Siebel Institute, which has been operating since 1872, graduates 50 to 60 brewers per year.
* The University of California at Davis is also known for its courses in the science of brewing, and its students are often recruited by Anheuser-Busch. Classes are also offered by the Master Brewers Association at the University of Wisconsin and at the Institute for Brewing Studies in Boulder, Colorado. The American Brewers Guild offers training online.

OUTLOOK

* Although this is a relatively flat-growth industry, without major fluctuations in sales, the Beer Institute does project 1.5 percent growth over the next 10 years, due to the large number of people turning 21.
* While there’s been a reduction in the number of large breweries in recent years, microbreweries experienced a comeback in the late '90s. There are at least 1,500 breweries in the US today.

The uc davis deal sounds like it might be good thats close to chico and i could transfer in. ill have to look more into that. Even if i didnt go into brewing as a profession i would still love to know more about brewing and all things involved just to satisfy my thirst for brewing.

reaper79 said:
Hey everybody i was wondering how one might go about becoming a brewmaster so that maybe they could become a micro brewer or work for a large company like coors. Im currently obtaining a bussiness degree from chico state and have absoloutely fallen in love with brewing. I would really love to continue my degree and get an education in brewing so that maybe i could become a brew master. Does anybody know how somebody could do this?

Hey there, good to see another Chicoan on the thread! Although I am not involved in the brewing industry, I find it very similar to the computer science field. Although many employers will require you to have the formal credentials just to get an interview, if you are brilliant in your field you will not have trouble finding a job. If you truly love what you do, just keep doing it and surround yourself with others who do the same. Networking will find you many jobs that even a 4.0+ out of college will not.

On the other hand, if you are just mediocre or not very passionate about your work then get the credentials to get your foot in the door. Credentials are not a bad thing, but IMHO they are a waste of time in any industry that is about "craft". Not to bag on school, but I went to CSU,Chico for their Computer Science program and was entirely disappointed. I found that as even a tech support guy at a small software company, and through coding at night I learned more than in 4 years of college. Again, this is just my opinion but I've seen way too many college professors who are horrilble at teaching. I get sick to my stomach thinking about what all that tuition and book money could have gone towards. But that's just me...

Since you are in Chico, maybe try getting a job with Sierra Nevada, or Butte Creek brewery. I bet you'd learn a hell of a lot, get paid to do it, and enjoy the hell out of yourself :D .

Most brewers started out doing grunt work in a brewery. Once you've have some experience, then start thinking about formal education.

Get a job at the smallest brewpub/brewery you can find. You will still do grunt work, but you will also probably get to brew. When it is just you and the brewer, and you have a good brewer, he will train you on basically everything in the brewery. This is much better experience than just being the kid that scoops out the mash tun and cleans kegs. You will still do plenty of this (and it isn't bad at all), but you will also get to learn racking, brewing, filtering, bottling, good cleaning habits.

Do all this, like david_42 said, before you take classes. If you want to get everything you can out of a brewing school, you have to have enough experience to have perspective on what you are learning.

what does a 'brewmaster' make in a year? how about an assitant or head ( since there isn't too many brewmaster postions )
I'm sure it really varies, but how about some averages?

Average head brewer is probably around 32-35k per year, assistant, if you are full time, maybe low 20s. That is to say, not much.

Back