Mac Users: BTP vs QBrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been using QBrew for a little while now, mainly for taking recipes from this forum and converting them to 5-gallon batches, and when I do that it always seems to mess with some aspect of the calculations compared to all the Beersmith and ProMash recipes the Windows users use. I'm wondering if upgrading to BrewTools Pro would be a sensible move. Does it have a way to compensate for smaller batch sizes (changing hops values to keep similar IBUs)? Does it have a more complete ingredient list? Or a way to indicate a boil that starts before hop additions (90 min boil, first addition at 60 min)?

Honestly, after reading Designing Great Beers I could probably do it all on paper...but why would I want to when I can have software do it for me? ;)

Thanks for the input in advance.

I use Homebrew formulator and I am happy with it. It is free like qbrew and designed for mac. It takes some tweaking and is no longer supported. It isn't fancy but it gets the job done and the price is right. The creator decided to stop once beertool was made for mac as well I guess.

If you do end up with beertools pro post a review. I am happy for now, but you never know when you will need to find something to spend money on...;)

Try BeerAlchemy, there is a free trial. It does everything I want and is very easy to use.

Back