BYO magazine help.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandsquirt

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I think I'm ready to give this a try. I have always turned towards the ever popular lite beers and wheat beers. I think it is time to learn about the rest.
I noticed that BYO magazine has a special on back issues. I am interested in building my own brew stand. Right now I am a complete newbie. Does anybody have a back issue that you just cant live without or that they can recommend as a great learning tool? There are a lot of choices to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Eric..

p.s. I already have the beginners guide and the brutus ten issues.

March-April 2004 has a two articles called "Kick Up Your Kits" and "Yeast Strains". The Kick Up has lots of great tips that has really improved my brew. The Yeast article if very informative. I don't know if they offer issues that go back that far but as you can probably tell it's one I have kept and read several times.

The Brutus 10 is expensive, even to build it yourself.
I'm just throwing my .02 cents out here.....but I would say to use the Brutus 10 design to help guide you. There are a lot of different ways you could build your stand (sculpture). You don't necessarily have to have the integrated gas lines and the plumbing right away. In fact, I would reccomend that you don't plumb it at first. Just use it solely as a stand for now and brew a few batches on it. Once you do a few brews on it, you'll start to figure out just how and where you want to mount all the extras i.e pumps, clean out valves, chiller, any electronics, etc.

And if you want some mmore inspiration for your stand, go here:

BREWHALLA

Thanks..This just the type if info I am looking for. Those articles that you just cant put down and you pick-up and reread a year later. As for the "Brutus 10" mine will start out as a "brut 1.0" just a stand with burners. A very basic starting point. Thanks again........

There is another issue from last year that had a brewing tree type design in it. I'll look through my issues and post which one it was. Lots of great info from pretty much every issue though.

You cant go wrong with any of them, I grabbed almost 4 years off eBay & a subscription when I first started and still find my self going back to them as I progress reading stuff that didnt intrest me at the time.

This might be highly subjective, since ever y brewer has different interstes. :)

I think the 150 clone brews issue is a GREAT one, since just about everybody will find a recipe in there they like.

Other than that, I rather like the past two issues that deal with darker malts (Black Patent and Chocolate) but it appears those wouldn't interest you so much.

Back