Citrus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
Thinking of adding some citrus flavors into a wheat ale(Wheaten Beatdown from NB) at secondary. Any suggestions.

Whole fruit or just zest? For me the type does not matter as much as what is good. Just go to the store and buy what smells best.

I've used trulemon crysrtalized citrus juice with great success. The have trulime & truorange too. gunna get all three to experiment with. The trulemon so far has a very natural clean flavor that's niether tart nor sweet. & it's safe for fermentation/bottling/kegging. I add it to the priming solution when bottling. They mix really well with hops that produce similar flavors.
Check out our summer shandy for an example. I think hops like Amarillo would go real well with truorange for a tropical peach sort of flavor. The EKG & Willamette go well with trulemon for a lemon & lemon herb tea sort of flavor. YUM! Got batch two of the summer shandy bottled 3/31 in the fridge 1.5 hours ago. Used a little less trulemon trying to get more hop flavor with the lemon juice flavor.
You guys gotta try this stuff! It loves mixing with hop flavors when mixed into the priming solution. If you keg,mix it with some boiled & cooled water,pour into bottling bucket,then rack beer onto it,then rack to keg & pressurize. Allow it to sit 2 weeks or so,& the same effect should be obtained.

Back