Is fiber reinforced polypropylene food safe for a fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisk916

Reaction score
I am going to be building a Inductor tank fermentor soon, and wanted to use full size quick disconnects. I work at Napa Autoparts, and can get "gator lock" cam lock fittings for dirt cheap. My only issue is that I cannot find conclusive info if the fiber reinforced polypropylene is food safe at low temperatures. I know there are FDA polypropylene specific fittings elsewhere, but the cost is four/five times more than what I would be paying. I would be using them for the dump valve and yeast catcher, but depending on safety levels, I am considering using them on everything in the brewery. Any input guys?

In a former life, I sold glass reinforced PP into NSF applications. Assuming this is what you have, I'd say you're good to go.

This is good news. For about $60. 00 in camlocks I can outfit the entire brewery, fermentor, and have a few extras. Hopefully the wife bought me the inductor for Xmas so I don't have to :p

Well, I have most all of my fittings. Looking pretty good. Picked up a 26 gallon fermenter, and getting an 15 gallon inductor tank in two weeks(Xmas). So next step is finding some kegs to cut to make some keggles to help if them up.
I also have to source some hose; Anyone have any good links on 1.5 hose that is not reinforced vinyl?

Fyi, been using the poly camlocks and valves on my fermenters, and they have been great. Quick cleanup, make racking and harvesting a breeze.

Back