conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roesso

Reaction score
i have seen on one of these pages how to make a conical fermenter and i would like to make one for 5 gallons i was a the plastic mart.com and seen the 5gallon cone bottom tanks will this work is it to small or needs more room for head space any help would be nice

roesso

You'll want a 6-6.5 gallon container for your primary. As you guessed, there isn't enough room for headspace and depending on which recipe you use, how much boils off, etc... you will sometimes end up with a little more than 5gal of wort.

Other than size issues whats your guys' thoughts on conicals vs flat buckets? and one stage fermentation with purging out sediment vs 2ndary carboy?
thanks

Yeah, I'm looking at the 14.5 gallon Fermentator from Blichmann. At 5 Bills +, it will take a while. I need to get the brew hut built, but there should be enough left over in the budget for one of those puppies.

I've got my first batch in my 14.5 Blichmann. I do 10 gallon batches and this is great. I am now spoiled and can never go back to my previous 10 gallon fermenter and 5 gallon carboy secondary's. What a time saver.

Snakebone said:
I've got my first batch in my 14.5 Blichmann. I do 10 gallon batches and this is great. I am now spoiled and can never go back to my previous 10 gallon fermenter and 5 gallon carboy secondary's. What a time saver.

Ok, I want a report on how it goes, and don't leave any detail out. You likes, dislikes, what sucks, what makes a woody, etc. :D

Gotta hear it.

EdWort said:
Ok, I want a report on how it goes, and don't leave any detail out. You likes, dislikes, what sucks, what makes a woody, etc. :D

Gotta hear it.

I absolutely love my 14.5 fermenator . I now pump to the conical from the boil kettle (did it the first time today), which is even better-- never have to move the thing, its easy to clean, easy to harvest yeast, you don't have to worry about light, don't have to worry about it breaking, and its airtight, and holds its temperature well.

I've never regretted handing over the change for it.

Just to rub it in a little (and wet your appetite)

3548-pumptoconical.JPG

3548-fermenator1.JPG

SWEET!!!

Must have been a really good deal to get four of those things.

I've been toying around with getting another. Just curious, what kind of deal did you get?

can you get the 6-6.5 gallon cone bottom tank off the internet and do you get a cleaner product we this kind of set up

roesso

When I bought these the guy had them for pick up only so I made him an offer to get "rid" of them all at once. So instead of having to deal with 4 people he only had to deal with me. My wife had made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that at least 2 will have to go. I'm checking with brewer's I know around here to see if they want one, if not I'll post them in the classifieds in the next week or so.

Snakebone said:
When I bought these the guy had them for pick up only so I made him an offer to get "rid" of them all at once. So instead of having to deal with 4 people he only had to deal with me. My wife had made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that at least 2 will have to go. I'm checking with brewer's I know around here to see if they want one, if not I'll post them in the classifieds in the next week or so.

Are these the 14gl ones? Man, you're making me drool.

Snakebone said:

No problem Snake, I wouldn't want to see your wife get upset.
I'll take them off your hands. And because I'm a nice guy I'll not charge.

(please)

Snakebone said:
I call these guys the Quadruplets. I got a deal I couldn't refuse.

7349-100_2440.JPG

I need a cold shower and a cigarette after looking at those....

Snakebone said:

How much do you want for one?? I might be able to convince SWMBO to take a road trip.

Snakebone said:

Heh, I would be willing to consider driving down from Wisconsin for one........

Gedvondur

Snakebone said:
My wife had made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that at least 2 will have to go.

When you get rid of it make sure it's full of her shoes. I wish my SWMBO would try that with me. . . sometimes ya just need to take a stand

Latest posts

Back