Critique my first IPA please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
GRAIN BILL
Crisp Maris Otter 5 lbs, 4 oz
lbs oz
Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 3 lbs, 5 oz
lbs oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 80 0 lbs, 8 oz
lbs oz
Briess Flaked Wheat 0 lbs, 4 oz
lbs oz

HOPS
Amarillo Pellets .50 oz @ 60 mins
oz @ mins
Simcoe Pellets .25 oz @ 60 mins
oz @ mins
Simcoe Pellets .50 oz @ 20 mins
oz @ mins
Amarillo Pellets .25 oz @ 20 mins
oz @ mins
Amarillo Pellets .25 oz @ 15 mins
oz @ mins
Simcoe Pellets .25 oz @ 15 mins
oz @ mins
Simcoe Pellets .50 oz @ 5 mins
oz @ mins
Amarillo Pellets .50 oz @ 2 mins
oz @ mins
Amarillo Pellets .50 oz @ Dry
oz @ Dry
Simcoe Pellets .50 oz @ Dry
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry

STATS
OG - 1.058
FG - 1.015
IBU - 57

Please give me feedback I want this to turn out great as I've never done an IPA before.

I think your looking pretty good, I love the the Simcoe/Amarillo combo, I use it in my IPA and it's a very interesting taste, I can't quite explain it, but it's damn good. Not sure what Citra will bring since I've never used it, but I would consider dropping it and just using more Simcoe & Amarillo. I would also suggest mashing your grains around the 150* mark to keep the sweetness to a minimum, unless of course you want it sweet. You should get plenty of Maltiness from the Maris Otter.

Hmmmmm would I lose too muc body mashing at 150? at 152 I expect the beer to finish at 1.016

Looks good. I like to use whole hops for mine at the back end of the boil as well as the dry hopping. I feel like you pick up more aroma due to the fact that they loose some of there oil during the peletizing process. My last IPA utilized 4 different types of hopes and I am very happy with the flavor and aroma. I mashed at 152F and it came out very well balanced with the perfect body.

Looks good. I like to use whole hops for my at the back end of the boil as well as the dry hopping. I feel like you pick up more aroma due to the fact that they loose some of there oil during the prioritizing process. My last IPA utilized 4 different types of hopes and I am very happy with the flavor and aroma. I mashed at 152F and it came out very well balanced with the perfect body.

Mashing at 152 what was your FG? I think I am leaning toward mashing at 152 because 1.015 - 1.016 isn't too high for an IPA plus it may provide a good backbone.

Any other hops combonations that you would reccomend rather than Amarillo / Simcoe. I'm not sold on these, I may also consider columbus / centenial / and cascade or something. More imput would be great :mug:

Without going back and looking at my notes I believe my FG was around .012. I like to use I think in this IPA I used Chinook to bitter then went with additions of Willamette, Amarillo, and Mt. hood. I dry hopped with Mt. Hood. All whole hops no pellets. I try to stick with what is fresh at the HB store during the growing season. Luckily I live in Oregon where we grow a lot of hops.
GO COWBOYS!

Thanks for the help...Last second change though. I tried an IPA featuring Amarillo and Simco, pretty good but not quite what I was looking for. On the other hand I love the Rogue IPA featuring Columbus and Centennial.

So I called an audible and will go with this hop schedule.

.50 Columbus at 60
.50 Centennial at 30
.50 Cascade at 15
1 Cascade 5

DH - .50 Columbus, .50 Centennial, .50 Cascade.

This keeps the IBU's at about 57, but I think I will like this profile more.

Any additional comments / feedback I'll order this online probably tomorrow night.

Back