Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife says she can taste a hint of bleach in some of the bottles of our latest batch of Hefeweizen. I used bleach to sanatize, but thought I had rinsed the bottles well. Any suggestions on how to get this unwanted flavor out? Can I use tempeature control cold shock or just let age?

My wife says she can taste a hint of bleach in some of the bottles of our latest batch of Hefeweizen. I used bleach to sanatize, but thought I had rinsed the bottles well. Any suggestions on how to get this unwanted flavor out? Can I use tempeature control cold shock or just let age?

That taste probably won't age out- chlorophenols (that flavor) are detectable in very small amounts, and don't fade with time.

Bleach is funny stuff. For some reason I find it very difficult to rinse it off of things. I used it on something plastic a while back and it smelled of bleach for a month even though I rinsed it a dozen times. I'd switch to star san (or similar no rinse), or dilute your bleach solution even more than you usually do.

Back