Igloo 60 quart cube help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qeelin

Reaction score
Can someone who has an empty Igloo 60 or 70 quart cube cooler and a couple of ball lock corny kegs please do me a favor? First of all will the two cornies fit inside the cooler and if so how much do they stick out of the top? I'm thinking of using one of these to take my brew on a camping trip. I plan to wrap the tops of the kegs with a blanket or an old sleeping bag and pack the cooler with ice. I don't want to go out and buy the cooler only to find out that two kegs won't even fit side by side in it.

This would be a great help to me,

Thanks!!

I don't have one of those coolers but out of curiousity I have to ask. Why not a garbage can with ice?

I don't have one of those coolers but out of curiousity I have to ask. Why not a garbage can with ice?

That IS an option too. I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep two kegs cold over a 3 day camping trip without having to buy a ton of ice. The trash can would cost almost as much as the cooler but it isn't insulated. I would have to buy about 4 bags of ice a day to keep it happy.

I was assuming garbage cans would be much cheaper than the cooler. A quick googling confirmed what you said though. Can't believe garbage cans cost that much. Forget either container, they're both too expensive. Just bring a shovel and a construction style garbage bag. Dig a hole just big enough to fit the kegs, line with trash bag, add kegs, apply ice, consume. Plus the beer will taste better after digging the hole.

Unless of course there's a stream where you're camping. Streams keep beer at a very pleasant temperature. One of the few things I learned in highschool.

I was assuming garbage cans would be much cheaper than the cooler. A quick googling confirmed what you said though. Can't believe garbage cans cost that much. Forget either container, they're both too expensive. Just bring a shovel and a construction style garbage bag. Dig a hole just big enough to fit the kegs, line with trash bag, add kegs, apply ice, consume. Plus the beer will taste better after digging the hole.

Unless of course there's a stream where you're camping. Streams keep beer at a very pleasant temperature. One of the few things I learned in highschool.

THAT sir, is a GREAT idea, LOL!

Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean I don't still need those dimensions. Digging a hole would be great if I wasn't camping at a state park.

you can't fit a ball lock in a cube with out cutting holes in the lids.

there was an R2D2 portable kegorator floating around some where. the top of the keg has to stick up a good amount out of the lid.

-=Jason=-

The 5 gallon kegs will definitely be too tall to close the lid. I am not sure about the ability to get them in the cooler together as I am not at home to check.

On a side note, the Igloo Cube 70 qt max cool will fit (2) 3 gallon cornies and a 5lb co2 bottle with regulator. Makes a great roll about tap system for (2) 3 gallon kegs and stays cool for a long time.

They stick out a LOT! About 1/2 of the corny sticks out. do you want me to take a picture? I can find my camera and run downstairs if you need me to- but trust me, about 1/2 is out of the cooler!

The lid is easily removable. Take it off and replace it with a piece of foam insulation with a hole cut in it. It works well.

They stick out a LOT! About 1/2 of the corny sticks out. do you want me to take a picture? I can find my camera and run downstairs if you need me to- but trust me, about 1/2 is out of the cooler!

I would LOVE a pic. I know they stick out the top but I just wanted to know if two of them would fit side by side and exactly how much sticks out the top.

actually, now that I think about it, they did start to fit. They just got stuck about halfway to the bottom. I guess you could use a blanket that way. I'll measure when I go out to the garage this mornin

You can take a 70qt cube cooler, add a 8.5in collar, and put the lid on top.

Two 5 gallons kegs fit in, but very tightly.

My 60qt has a 3"raised portion where the wheels/drain is because of this 1 keg sits higher than the other. I did however just fit 2 kegs in it. one sat 8" above the lip the other sat 11" above.

8" wouldn't be too bad. I wish they made a cube that size without wheels. They do make a marine model without them but it is only a 50 quart and there's no way I could get two kegs in it.

Back