Which ingredients in this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Bizzle

Reaction score
Are giving me that nice smooth sweet flavor.

3.3 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract
3.3 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract,
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Crystal 10°L

Its Midwest Supplies Big Ben Pale Ale, and its fantastic.
Myself and all my friends love it.

I'd like to incorporate that smooth sweetness into one of my next brews.
I'm assuming its the steeping grains I used.
But I just wanted to get some clarity.

I will definitely make this again.

Part of the smooth sweetness is the very moderate level of hops for a pale ale. The lower the hops, the more the malt comes to the forefront.

The Cara-Pils also adds some mouthfeel making it feel richer. The Crystal is going to add some sweetness.

Part of the smooth sweetness is the very moderate level of hops for a pale ale. The lower the hops, the more the malt comes to the forefront.

The Cara-Pils also adds some mouthfeel making it feel richer. The Crystal is going to add some sweetness.

This makes sense and is good to know, thank you.:mug:

Funny thing about this is, I consider myself to typically be a hop head, but if its the malts I'm liking in this, then maybe I'll have reconsider...

Funny thing about this is, I consider myself to typically be a hop head, but if its the malts I'm liking in this, then maybe I'll have reconsider...

Kids usually hate spicy food. But a lot of people find out they do like it later on, and then they go through a phase of ordering everything extra-hot, getting the chili powder or hot sauce out, etc. Most of those people eventually decide that they like more balance most of the time and save the super-spicy stuff for when they're in the right mood--though some people stick with super spice in everything.

I find hops are similar. Most people don't like them too prominent when they have their first beers, but at some point many people start going for hoppier and hoppier beers. Some people stick with the ultra-hop path, but a lot of people decide that they like some balance part of the time and the super-hoppy stuff other times.

There's nothing wrong with either way!

Kids usually hate spicy food. But a lot of people find out they do like it later on, and then they go through a phase of ordering everything extra-hot, getting the chili powder or hot sauce out, etc. Most of those people eventually decide that they like more balance most of the time and save the super-spicy stuff for when they're in the right mood--though some people stick with super spice in everything.

I find hops are similar. Most people don't like them too prominent when they have their first beers, but at some point many people start going for hoppier and hoppier beers. Some people stick with the ultra-hop path, but a lot of people decide that they like some balance part of the time and the super-hoppy stuff other times.

There's nothing wrong with either way!

Very well said.:mug:

Back