Keg Conditioning? What equipment is needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
I just ordered a few used kegs and I have four brews that have been in secondary for about two weeks now. My question is that I want to move these beers to the kegs to condition for a few weeks or a month or two since they are all high gravity Belgian styles and could use the rest. Now do I need all the kegging equipment to condition the beer. Meaning do I need a CO2 tank and regulator to fill or seal the keg? I don't want to carbonate it yet just fill them and put them in a corner for as long as I can hold out.

Well you can always just add about half the amount of priming sugar you'd normally use. That way it can partially carbonate while resting. I have even done full amount priming. Then they are ready to go, no waiting, just put them on tap. To be on the safe side, it is best to have the CO2 hooked up so you can ensure the seal on the lid. However, I have had no problems with just adding priming sugar. Priming doesn't halt the process of conditioning.

Some (all maybe) of my cornies need some pressure on them to seal properly.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I haven't had any troubles, then again my kegs are in good condition and have all new seals.

At any rate, even if you don't get a good seal this doesn't mean your beer will be ruined. It would be very difficult (near impossible) for anything to contaminate the beer. So transfer away and hook up the CO2 when you get there.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I haven't had any troubles, then again my kegs are in good condition and have all new seals.

At any rate, even if you don't get a good seal this doesn't mean your beer will be ruined. It would be very difficult (near impossible) for anything to contaminate the beer. So transfer away and hook up the CO2 when you get there.

I didn't see your post before I hit submit.:mug:

Like the OP, I've been wondering about lengthy conditioning in kegs too and wasn't sure if priming or keeping them topped off with gas would be best. Seems like just priming would be less maintenance.

I personally prefer using CO2, to ensure not only is it sealed, but to purge the head space of the keg of oxygen. Priming should build up enough pressure and CO2 to do this (since it's heaver then oxygen, when you bleed the keg the remainder should be mostly CO2), you're already dealing with kegs so CO2 is normally a handy safe bet with less sediment on your first pint or two when you tap it.

I didn't see your post before I hit submit.:mug:

Like the OP, I've been wondering about lengthy conditioning in kegs too and wasn't sure if priming or keeping them topped off with gas would be best. Seems like just priming would be less maintenance.

Yeah you can just open the relief valve after a few days to purge the air. I see it not that much different than aging in a secondary. Think about the headspace in a secondary, it is fairly large compared with a keg. It's just a different shape and material than a carboy or BB really with the added benefit of being able to just throw it on the gas when you are ready.

Ok! Thanks guys! I guess once they come I will just mix 1/2 a batch or primer and use that for now and just hook up the CO2 once I get some more equipment.

Anyone have any suggestions on what and where to get the rest of my keg supplies from. All I will have is the kegs and was told that I will need a regulator, co2 tank, hose, tap, and poppit valves? Missing anything? And does anyone know of a online store where I could get everything in a kit besides the keg and tank? And what is a poppit valve I cant seem to find that.

I'm really new to this as well. So, please feel free to correct me on any errors. That's how we learn. My first attempt to use a keg showed me how important it is to have the Petrol-Gel or food grade lube on the seals. The Petrol-Gel was not available in store so I had to order it. I was way to excited to get started and found that if I slightly shook my keg after a few days I could hear a leak. I finally got it to seal but now I have a home made hand pump that I use for cleaning lines and for testing seals. I got the kegerator kit last week so now it is much easier to ensure everything seals properly.

I like to order my stuff from Micromatic. They have a location in IL so shipping should be quick. They have great prices on regulators and tanks. Poppets are a spring loaded valve inside the gas-in and beer-out posts of the kegs (Poppets at Northern Brewer). These only need to be repalced if the are leaking, or missing. Micromatic doesn't have these. Most of the big web homebrewstores will have them. Also you'll need the disconnects for both the gas-in and beer-out posts. Here again I'd go with a Homebrew store, these are more expensive from Micromatic

Back