Pear WIne Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Im not a huge wine maker but I make it when the fruit is available and free. Recently I picked about 30 pounds of pears and SWMBO and I peeld and chopped them for a recipe I had. I added about 5 pounds of sugar and about 4 pounds of honey to this 5 gallon recipe and fermented for 10 days stirring daily. Then I strained out the solids and put into a carboy. Now about two weeks later i have about 5 inches of sediment in my carboy, and it looks like ill only end up with about 3 gallons of finished product. Will this settle more with time? Should i add more sugar water? or should i just suck it up and only get 3 gallons?

I also had this problem with a 1 gallon batch of Gooseberry Wine, but I just racked it then.. now Im only gonna get about 2/3 of a gallon.

You need to get your wine off the gross lees (5 inches of sediment). Do you have a 3-gallon carboy? If not, rack it into 3 1-gallon glass jugs with airlocks. These gross lees will impart off flavors to your wine and you'll end up with a bad batch if you don't rack it soon. You'll likely have to rack it again before it's finished.

Back