Mama Mia Pizza Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landis

Reaction score
MamaMia_PizzaBeer_lo.jpg

I was reading up on the latest Joe Sixpack Philly Beer Blog, and ran across this article. I did a little search and didn't see anything on HomeBrewTalk about it yet, so I thought I would share.

Joe Sixpack Article

It's an ale flavored with fresh tomatoes, oregano, basil and garlic. Take a big whiff, and you think you just opened up a box from Domino's. Take a sip, and you get a mellow tomato flavor - not overwhelming, just a hint - with a nice garlic bite on your lips.​

Interesting to see that it was developed by a homebrewing mortgage broker who quit his job to brew full time.

There are some other pizza beer threads. It sounds disgusting to me.

I guess I need to brush up on my searching skills

I don't think this particular beer is the subject of any threads. Apparently these guys weren't the only ones to think of it though. Wonder what other unique beers we'll be seeing in the future?

Had it. Didn't finish the bottle. Not my cup of tea... er, beer. Definitely tastes like tomato, garlic and basil though, they got that spot on.

I had one of the first runs of this. Initially I wasn;t expecting much from this other than overwhelming herbs and a pretty gross beer, however I was wrong. This beer is good. it's not a beer you drink when you want a beer, its to be paired with Italian food.

Oregano comes through nicely, and well as the garlic, but its very subtle at the same time. the beer is really balanced and is well brewed. The owner of htis beer did it right. He came up with the recipe he wanted and then had someone else contract brew it. So all he does is collect profit.

I bought a few, and I have only had one, but I think it must have been a bad bottle, because it barely had any flavor at all, it seemed like a pale ale that was just kind of off. I am chilling another bottle now, actually, because someone else brought this up ona different board, and I realized that other folk's experiences were significantly different than mine...

I really wanted to dislike this, but I agree with Chimone. If you can taste through the oregano/tomato/basil, it's a pretty clean beer. Actually kind of enjoyed the nice garlic taste at the very end. Who knows maybe this is the beer to boil italian sausage it's seared on the grill, or a great base for your next pasta sauce?

I have had it. Not something I would drink everyday, however if someone gave me one while eating some pasta I would drink it again. It's very flavorful and the flavors blend together nicely.

Maybe my palate is just retarded, but I drank another bottle of this the other day and again none of the spices seemed over the top or anything like that. All in all it was just bland and boring, the inspiration outshining the result.

Maybe my palate is just retarded, but I drank another bottle of this the other day and again none of the spices seemed over the top or anything like that. All in all it was just bland and boring, the inspiration outshining the result.

What temp did you consume it at? I could see this being really bland when it's rather cold.

It's terrible, and what's worse, the guy that made it is massively aggressive...someone set him up to do a tasting of it at my store, and he required we have FIVE CASES.

So naturally, we have a lot left over that, most likely, wont sell.

i guarantee it's good with certain foods.

I wouldn't drink a chili beer on it's own other than to taste, but it you put a quesadilla in front of me with some chilli beer I can down a couple chilli beers easy.

Back