Would a corn mill work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I brew extract recipes, so I'm only crushing small amounts of specialty grains. Would a corn mill serve my purposes? I've seen them for 19.99, which is a long way off from the 130.00 that real grain mills cost. Here's what I'm referring to:

http://www.netshops.com/cart/shoppe...ligence_gbase&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=UHI018-1

"The Universal Grain, Corn, & Cereal Mill is a great kitchen helper, saving time and money while providing freshness and nutritional value. The mill is ideal for grinding grains, corn, and cereals as fine or as coarse as you want with the mill's adjustments. A durable cast-iron construction with rust-resistant finish makes the mill easy to clean. A sturdy clamp base securely attaches the mill to a table or counter. A rubber counter protector is also included. The long-armed hardwood handle allows for continuous operation."

It looks like the grooves provide a way to tear open the grain by a wiping/tearing action whereas a brewing grain mill crushes it using a smashing/crushing action. It might work for small quantities as it is hand operated but I have not tried one.

Looks like both reviews were disappointed that it couldn't grind fine enough. Not a problem for grains. Don't know about that brand, but many people use Conona mills for specialty grains. About the same price, if you look around.

Looks identical to the Corona mill I use for all-grain. Takes a little work to get it adjusted properly, but she works great. You can remove the handle, buy the correct size bolt to thread in where the handle bolt goes, cut the head off it and chuck a power drill on it too.

That looks a lot like my Porkert mill. I have it motorized with a drill and have been using it for all grain brewing for over a year and it works fine. 80% plus efficiency.

Lots of us here use them with great success. But be fore-warned, they take some patience to get them adjusted!

Back