Mini-fridge Kegerator Conversion--Keep freezer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshamash

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am picking up a mini fridge later from a buddy (assuming it fits my purposes) later today. I intend on adding dual tap tower on top.

I know it has a freezer compartment on top, I was thinking that instead of doing the whole bending back thing, can I drill a hole right through it and feed an insulated tube to 'house' the beer lines, so they do not freeze? I do not think those small compartment freezers get that cold anyhow...so not that much insulation wold be needed.

Thoughts? Just trying to simplify the process/eliminate further possibility of ruining the fridge.

Cheers,
Saul

The way I understand how the fridges are built, that freezer compartment is the cooler plate for the fridge.
If you drill through it you'll kill the fridge by releasing all the non freon freon.
Bend it out of the way (when it's warm) and you should be fine.

Bend it when warm! Do not drill it. Who am I to say this well... The United States Air Force trained me as an Ground Radio Technician, then I was an Electrician, then a APPLIANCE TECHNICIAN, then Telecommunications Technician, and finally I am a Radar Technician. You will have an insulated paper weight if you drill the chill plate!

Back