Long Fermentation on Belgian Strong Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dark belgian strong ale that had an OG of 1.084 and I pitched the yeast starter 11 days ago. Fermentation took off within 8 hours and I can still see the yeast swimming happily and doing their thing. The initial fermentation was quite active and needed a blow off tube to direct the overflow. My question is, I have brewed other high gravity brews and they have all seemed to ferment out in 7-10 days completely. This belgian has slowed down but is still visibly active. I used a white labs belgian strong ale yeast. Is this typical of belgian yeast behavior?

Thanks,

Shawn

In a nutshell, yes. Belgians take their time, and they're on their own schedule. Nothing to do but wait (maybe raise the temp of the fermenter a little, if you can)

I used white labs wlp545 belgian strong ale yeast stepped up to a 1 liter starter. The ferm. temp is at a steady 70 degrees

You cannot rush a Belgian.

Here is a good quote about Belgians from Brew Like a Monk.

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. I can take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%"

I usually go about 6 weeks for mine. Just make sure it is really finished. I almost had some bottle bombs on. Tripel I brewed. I bottled it thinking it was done because the gravity seemed stable for several days. Obviously it was not finished and the bottles were way over carbed.

Just opened one from that batch up a few minutes ago. 9 Months in the bottle. and still overcarbed but mmmmmmmmm tasty.

Back