pitched on a yeast cake holy crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
made 10 gallons of a pale ale and pitched it on 2 yeast cakes from BM centennial blonde, wlp001. holy crap i went back in 3 hours to check the temp of my fermenting refrigerator and both had taken off at warp speed, krausen, bubbling and lots of active yeast!!!! i don't know why i never did this before!

made 10 gallons of a pale ale and pitched it on 2 yeast cakes from BM centennial blonde, wlp001. holy crap i went back in 3 hours to check the temp of my fermenting refrigerator and both had taken off at warp speed, krausen, bubbling and lots of active yeast!!!! i don't know why i never did this before!

amazing, isn't it ?? last time i did that it ignited in an hour.

Yup. Got an amber pitched on a Notty cake from a Pale right now. It blew out the blow off tube within 3 hours. Had to swap the sanitizer in the gallon pitcher at the end of the blow off after 12 hours because there was 1" of yeast sitting in the bottom!

I've read about doing this. Question I have is, what about the top crud ring? When the krausen rises doesn't some of the old crud from the top ring get into the beer? I'd think there's some funk old dead yeast in there.

Rev.

What I have done in the past is scoop out a coffee cup full. Then I clean my bucket. Any more than that takes up too much space and it seems to be plenty.

I've read about doing this. Question I have is, what about the top crud ring? When the krausen rises doesn't some of the old crud from the top ring get into the beer? I'd think there's some funk old dead yeast in there.

Rev.

Wipe out the crud ring with a paper towel soaked in Star-San. :)

I see you are in Redondo. You wouldn't happen to be a member of Strand Brewers Club, would you?

no. i have heard alot about them. ive been wanting to check out one of the club meeting and myabee join, but i am just too busy. are you around the area?

Rev.

it doesn't matter since there was beer in there just before. i basically kegged those batches while brewing then pumped the new wort in right after.

no. i have heard alot about them. ive been wanting to check out one of the club meeting and myabee join, but i am just too busy. are you around the area?

Yep I'm in the south bay too. You just missed the last meeting at Naja's Place on Wednesday. I think the next one will also be at Naja's but not until March 9th. Hope to see you there!

It's generally not well advised to pitch onto an entire yeast cake. You can easily end up with an under-attenuated beer because you're over-pitching.

Back