Porter Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
I have a commercial porter on tap that I feel I have too cold. When I let it warm up the flavour just bursts out of my mouth, but at the ~43F that it comes out it just tastes like cold carbonated water. I've read, though, that the warmer you store your beer, the shorter the shelf-life. I need this keg to last at least two months. So, is my only recourse to store it cold, and then let it warm up to room temp after pouring? Or are there other solutions?
ezziey

unless you store your beer in the oven, there isn't a temp you'd conceivable store beer at that would kill a beer within 2 months

Woot! Good to know. I'll just crank the temp up until its at a good serving temp then. Are you basing this advice on perssonal experience?

it is true that warmer temps do kill the shelf-life, but unless you're above room temp, in direct light, and a low abv brew, 2 months shouldn't be long enough to kill a brew. i store all my beer in my basement (50-65F depending on season) and never had anything go bad. fyi, an ideal porter storage temp is 50-55F

here are some storage tips: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

Back