Fermentation chamber from mini-fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgy

Reaction score
I am considering building something like this for a fermentation chamber…

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-88554/

The chamber will be in my garage that gets down below 30 deg in winter and above 90 degrees in summer. I would like to be able to brew both ales or lagers anytime of the year. I have heard of putting a light bulb inside the chamber to keep it warm enough to ferment ales in the winter. Is this what is typically used or is there another way to keep temps up in winter?

Can anyone recommend a set of plans/photos to follow for building a fermentation chamber for both ales and lagers?

My multipurpose fermentation chamber is our old full-size fridge. I can turn it on to the lowest setting to hit 49F for lagers, I can use a ranco temperature controller to hit other temps. For keeping it warm in the winter, I soldered together four 1 Ohm resistors in series, and clamped them into old cpu heat sinks. Then I connected the resistors to a simple heater thermostat, so it can control warmer temps in the winter.

I use a ceramic heat bulb from a reptile cage. Like this http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiCare-Ceramic-Infrared/dp/B0002AQCPK/ref=pd_sim_k_7 It screws into any lamp. I have mine in a cheap desk lamp.

But why spend extra money and build a box when you can just buy a cheap fridge or chest freezer on craigslist? Just get an old full sized fridge or chest freezer (preferable a fridge) and use that unmodified. Enough space for 2 fermenters. Well designed for cooling. Well insulated, more durable and easier to clean then a home built box. You can easily find an old ugly fridge for cheap or even free if your lucky.

Then get a heat lamp and a dual out put digital ranco controller. One output for the fridge (cooling) and the second output for the heat lamp (heating). Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and you can dial in any temp you want. I have this exact set up and my fermentation is always within 1 degree of my setting. It's the ultimate in control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a ceramic heat bulb from a reptile cage. Like this http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiCare-Ceramic-Infrared/dp/B0002AQCPK/ref=pd_sim_k_7 It screws into any lamp. I have mine in a cheap desk lamp.

But why spend extra money and build a box when you can just buy a cheap fridge or chest freezer on craigslist? Just get an old full sized fridge or chest freezer (preferable a fridge) and use that unmodified. Enough space for 2 fermenters. Well designed for cooling. Well insulated, more durable and easier to clean then a home built box. You can easily find an old ugly fridge for cheap or even free if your lucky.

Then get a heat lamp and a dual out put digital ranco controller. One output for the fridge (cooling) and the second output for the heat lamp (heating). Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and you can dial in any temp you want. I have this exact set up and my fermentation is always within 1 degree of my setting. It's the ultimate in control.

I second this. I built my box (still working on getting the pics up) and it was more hassle than its worth. Cost about $80 for materials and about 12 hours of my time. It fits 2 fermentors and works great, but would have been much easier to get a fridge off of craigslist. I often see a lot for $50 or less! The positive to mine is that it is on wheels, and the dimensions are more accommodating to my basement. Also, I do not own a car/truck capable of picking up a fridge off of craigslist.

I would recommend building the Ebay Aquarium Temp Controller. It was about $50-$60 total, and will operate a cooling and heating device. My box is in my basement which is about 68 degrees year round, so I have not used it for heating, but I would think a tiny space heater like this would be optimal for heating

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I will check out all suggestions for heat lamps and controllers.

The reason I like the mini-fridge conversion is to save space. I could fit it under my work bench.

Back