Mr. Beer..Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ercscotty

Reaction score
I know, I know...Mr. Beer...
Needless to say, I am for the most part a newbor....Right now I have a pils bottled and almost ready for lagering.
What I am looking for is just some opinions, comments, criticisms, etc...
I took a can of Mr. Beer's Nut Brown Ale, did the usual tasks for brewing, but put a spin on things.
First of all, I took a packet of yeast from Mr. Beer and added it to a glass of warm water, mixed it, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. The 2 gallon container (everything sanitized) was filled quarter of the way with cool water.
Here's part of the twist....I took 1 tblsp of all spice, 1/2 tsp of coco, and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, and the livin'd up yeast water, and added it to the cool water already in the keg. I took about 2 quarts of water, warmed up the can of malt, and then added it to the water..making it boil. Once it boiled, I let it cool and then added it to the existing mash in the keg. Once the wart was added, I added another dry packet of yeast and stir for about 10 minutes.

Now, this is totally an experiment. I've brewed many successful brews, but I followed the instructions to a "T" and at this point I wanted to make something different. I plan on letting this ferment for 3-4 weeks and then bottling it for carbonation for 3 weeks, and then to the fridge for at least another 3 weeks or more before drinking.

Long, explained and probably boring to most of you, BUT please give me your opinions to what you think what will happen, any suggestions, etc.

Thanks,

SC

From your description, it sounds like you eventually boiled yeast that you were hydrating? 1tblsp of allspice and 1/2tsp coco is about all I would expect that you will be able to taste after fermentation is done. The brown sugar, especially at that amount, will not be noticable at all.

How did the raw wort taste?

I actually did not boil the live yeast. I added the live yeast to the cool water mixer and let it stand for 15 minutes. The only items I boiled were the pre-canned nut brown ale extract in 3 quarts of water. Once this cooled I added it to the cool water in the keg that already had the yeast, coco, all-spice, and brown sugar. I'm hoping the extra yeast will turn all that sugar is to higher alcohol content. Do you think that will happen?

The worth tasted a little sweet, but not overpowering. It had a nice snowy day/sit by the fire aroma.

Thanks for your reply.

It is unlikely that the extra yeast will increase the alcohol content at all. Also, the extra sugar you added (1/2 tsp) will not increase alcohol content by any appreciable amount.

Good beer does not necessarily mean more alcohol!

Isn't that the truth! I should have also mentioned the half of bag of booster I added as well. I checked on the action last night and found a good quarter inch of froth rising and bubbling. Good signs!

Thanks for your input!

Because I was bored I ordered this discontinued Beer from Amazon (well, I got the tip from amazon, but bought it directly from the vendor). A simple 2 gallon batch that came with the Mr. Beer Booster (was hard in the package, but boiled up fine). Got it for $11.00...

Well, day 4 and nothing happening in the carboy, nothing !!! lol....

I do have some extra yeast sitting around that's fresh, should I just re-pitch ??

Back