Keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

57plymouth

Reaction score
This may be in the wrong section...

I'm interested in building a keggle. I've read many of the threads here, and I have a lot to learn before I start.

But I have one big issue: Where do you get the keg?

I know it's a rookie question, but I'm a rookie in many ways.

Thanks in advance!

when i got mine, i just posted ads up on facebook and myspace to see if my friends had any. and luckily one did. or on craigslist.

This may be in the wrong section...

I'm interested in building a keggle. I've read many of the threads here, and I have a lot to learn before I start.

But I have one big issue: Where do you get the keg?

I know it's a rookie question, but I'm a rookie in many ways.

Thanks in advance!

Oh boy, what a question to start with. I'm gonna try to prevent a landslide here for you.

You need to be aware that brewers own the kegs they ship their beer in and the deposit they charge is just that... they want the kegs back.

So, there tends to be MUCH discussion in a thread like you just started about legalities. I think most would say that dropping $30 for the deposit of a keg and just keeping it is probably not right (though many do just that). Then the question becomes to what extent are YOU suppose to go to make sure the keg you get from CL or a friend is "legal"?

I'm gonna stop at that point... as long as you are aware that brewers own the kegs, as far as I'm concerned you go to the extent you feel you need to ensure you acquire a "legal" keg.

Good luck.

(maybe this post will help keep your thread on track to help you actually build a keggle instead of debating the legality thing)

Good job Ohio Ed.

Yes. you decide what laws you are comfortable breaking if any and either buy a new one from sabco for 150 bones or one from craigslist for 30-40 or less.

I'm certainly not trying to start a firestorm.

Sabco's site says they only sell in lots of 25. Am I not looking at the right site?

I'd start by calling local brew pubs (that have breweries) and ask if they have any kegs they are retiring and selling for scrap. I've seen a few people get kegs this way, with no moral struggle. Good luck!

I'd start by calling local brew pubs (that have breweries) and ask if they have any kegs they are retiring and selling for scrap. I've seen a few people get kegs this way, with no moral struggle. Good luck!

That's what I did and it worked out great. No ethical problem, sampled a new brew they were coming out with and got to look at more stainless steel than I thought existed, and the keg was $30, had a bad seal. Hard to beat that.

I just went to a small brewery and asked if he had any damaged kegs, sure enough he did. I got them for free and they arent in that bad of shape, so I was quite fortunate. I also had another brewery I asked, but I never followed through since I got mine already.

Back