IPA: Simcoe/Amarillo plus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
Hey. Tried a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA and loved it. Want to make my own.

Don't have experience with Simcoe at all and am excited to try it. I picked up some stuff from the LHBS today, but I also have some recently-picked cascade hops lying around that I'd like to make use of.

I don't like dry hopping cascade very much because of the grassy flavor. I think it's appropriate in an american amber/pale, but I look for a sharper flavor in IPA.

Got 2 oz Simcoe and 1 oz Amarillo. Thinking something like this (don't have the AA, but it's a general question):

10 lb pale
1 lb vienna
1 lb munich

1 oz Warrior 60
1/2 oz Cascade 20
1/3 oz Simcoe 15
1/2 oz Cascade 10
1/3 oz Simcoe 5
1/3 oz Simcoe 0
1 oz Simcoe DH
1 oz Amarillo DH

I guess my question is if you all think the cascade will be an improvement or a detriment. I don't see Cascade and Amarillo combining poorly, but I don't know about the Simcoe. I have a lot of fresh cascade and am working on getting some of it used right away.

Dougan:

You'd be wise to search out Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale recipe. It's loaded with Simco and amarillo and sort of borders on the IPA/Pale Ale chart. I'm sure you could push the recipe over to a certifiable IPA by tweeking it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

I brewed this recently and it's a hit. Note: the hops combination gives the final product a distinct citrus flavor.

Cheers

Looks good to me.If you don't want the cascade aroma/flavour You should throw it in earlier.

Brewed it today. Upped the cascade after seeing the recipes you posted, and looking in the freezer and realizing how much I had. Hopefully it turns out ok! Thanks for the reassurance!

Founder's in Grand Rapids makes a fantastic IIPA and I this weekend I asked the owner what kind of hops he uses, and he said Simcoe and Amarillo. I'm thinking about tryin git, but I still have not perfected the 2-hearted clone yet, so...

Back