Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
I really dont understand pumps. I dont understand the difference between self priming and non self priming. However I do know what I will need to do with one. I am interested in pumping 50 gallons to a 110 gallon fermenter. When doing this I just want to flip a switch. I need to know what size pump would be best, self priming or non self priming. Cheers

Would depend on how fast you want to pump. This would work @ 3-5 gallons per minute and is designed for cool wort transfer, not high heat. It is self priming which makes life easier than using a March pump.

The non-self-priming kind like March pumps use an impeller. That kind of pump can't pump air, so it has to be primed (the pump head must be filled with liquid) to push anything. Impeller pumps can push decently but they have practically no suction so you have to make sure you have a constant flow of liquid to the pump head by having the source above the pump so gravity keeps it full.

If you get air in the pump head it'll stop pushing, so you can cut the power and let the bubbles rise up out of the head and reconnect the power. Usually it takes me two or three pulses to get it going.

One nice thing about March pumps, though, is that they're magnetically coupled. This means you can restrict the outflow to slow it without damaging the pump. Restricting the outflow is also good for helping to keep the pump primed. You never want to restrict the flow on the inlet side.

PERFECT!!! I seriously give this site a 5 star rating. Everyone on here is so helpful. Thanks so much guys! ps are there bigger pumps?

breweries (micros anyway) use a similar pump with a 2inch hose to move beer around the brewhouse and i think its @3hp at arcadia in michigan. the problem is cost is usually out of the average homebrewers range. the march pumps (1/25hp) can be setup for @150 or so depending on run length and type of disconnects used while the bigger ones can run 600+ for just the pump.

Back