three days in no sign of airlock activities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryf3661

Reaction score
hi there all well its been three days seen I've started my cider and I've not noticed any signs for airlock activities I've checked the seal of the bucket and everything seems fine I've got a wee stickie on temp reader the thinks you get for fish tanks and its at 62f sometimes gone to 64f threw day and it night am no sure as am working but a leave the heating on and when a get back from work its at the same sometimes a little up but am not sure if the lack of airlock activities is because am doing a three gallon batch in a five gallon bucket a opened it up yesterday for a peek in and there was lots of foam so a know its working at least a little lol

terryf3661 said:
haha ano but you read that much stuff online you don't know weather to chill or freak out lol

It has taken some of my brews up to four days to start fermenting...
It sounds like you have a handle on the temperature, But keep in mind if it does drop below the desired temperature for the yeast it could be going to sleep at night and then slightly waking up once you get the temperature back up in the morning. Again I doubt this is the situation but I thought I would throw that out there.
When I first started brewing I had a batch in the garage and it kept getting down to about 37°F at night and that made my fermentation go very slowly... It would go to sleep then wake up then go to sleep then wake up. Once I brought it inside and stabilize the temperature at 65° it started going strong.
Also, as you said with the 3 gallons in the 5 gallon bucket, Maybe it's just taking a few days for all the CO2 to build up in that big headspace and start pushing on the airlock.

Either way don't worry about it. Just make sure your temperature always stays above about 62°F... If you are sure that your temperature is okay then if you still do not see any activity in the airlock give it about a week and then add half a package of Lalvin EC-1118....
I don't know if this is accurate but I have heard that if yeast is not stored properly after some time it can get a little funky... Again, Not hundred percent sure on this...

I bought a $10 digital thermometer and it records the high and low temperatures.... It's great for when I am away because I can come back and see exactly where my temperature was...

7EF4060D-6095-48E4-B6E9-934B4AC3CCC5-2875-00000327D3DC6E7C_zps37c35093.jpg

It was seriously the best $10 investment I've ever made on brewing equipment!
You're supposed to mount the thermometer inside and run a probe outside of your house so we will tell you the inside temperature in the outside temperature but what I did was put the probe on the inside of my blanket against the carboy. This way I can tell what the temperature is in my house as well as the temperature of the carboy. I highly suggest something like this for any beginner because, again, the recordable temperature :)

I bought a $10 digital thermometer and it records the high and low temperatures.... It's great for when I am away because I can come back and see exactly where my temperature was. that me just seeing this a went a few shops the day and was looking for somthing along they lines and could not fine any so again ive had to order one off ebay so it will take a few days before its here

aww sorry about that a was on my fone and tried to quote what you said well what a went was it a have had to buy one from ebay because no were local sells them

terryf3661 said:
I bought a $10 digital thermometer and it records the high and low temperatures.... It's great for when I am away because I can come back and see exactly where my temperature was. that me just seeing this a went a few shops the day and was looking for somthing along they lines and could not fine any so again ive had to order one off ebay so it will take a few days before its here

Don't worry, nothing can happen in a few days and I think you're fine, just off to a slow fermentation ;)

Order a few toys off eBay, have a beer and everything will be good.

AND FOR HEAVEN SAKES QUIT STARING AT THE THING!!! ( hahaha, I know you're not doing that but I had to throw that in there because a couple of the guys on here teased me the same way when I was new... Prob b/c I was looking at the carboy every 15 minutes...lol)

Don't worry, nothing can happen in a few days and I think you're fine, just off to a slow fermentation ;)

Order a few toys off eBay, have a beer and everything will be good.

AND FOR HEAVEN SAKES QUIT STARING AT THE THING!!! ( hahaha, I know you're not doing that but I had to throw that in there because a couple of the guys on here teased me the same way when I was new... Prob b/c I was looking at the carboy every 15 minutes...lol)

haha it feels like it a was sitting in work last night thinking about it obsessed is a understatement haha :):)

The air space in your fermenter will take time to build up pressure to kick the airlock into gear too, so opening the lid will start that pressure building process again - resist the urge to peek!!!

The air space in your fermenter will take time to build up pressure to kick the airlock into gear too, so opening the lid will start that pressure building process again - resist the urge to peek!!!

Ive not peeked since lol its changed like a oj color and you can hear it bubbling away bit still no sign of a bubble threw the old airlock ha

terryf3661 said:
Ive not peeked since lol its changed like a oj color and you can hear it bubbling away bit still no sign of a bubble threw the old airlock ha

If you hear it bubbling but you have no activity at all in the airlock I think you should check to make sure the seal where the airlock is in is airtight, just pour some vodka over it and see if it bubbles around the neck...

If you hear it bubbling but you have no activity at all in the airlock I think you should check to make sure the seal where the airlock is in is airtight, just pour some vodka over it and see if it bubbles around the neck...
Its fine a hink its just takeing it time to fill the airspace plus the frist few days a open it a few times so its only relly been closed for one fill day ive not been home yet so it might be bubbling away lol

Back