Clear, then not clear in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
So I kegged and Oktoberfest about 1 month ago, used gelatin finings force carbonated it, and when I tapped it, it was crystal clear. About a week and half later I went to take a pull and now it's cloudy...now it's starting to clear up again any ideas?

RUNningonbrew said:
So I kegged and Oktoberfest about 1 month ago, used gelatin finings force carbonated it, and when I tapped it, it was crystal clear. About a week and half later I went to take a pull and now it's cloudy...now it's starting to clear up again any ideas?

Same happened to me dude my american brown ale sat in primary carboy for 30 days and then I racked it to keg, force carbed for the first and LAST time with 30 psi for 15 mins.... The beer was so ****ed up in there that the head was not foam it was bubbles and the liquid was hazed like never, 3 weeks later it is back to normal but what a waste of time...

My opignion is that you force carbed it and that is why it got ****ed up !

I always force carb at 30 psi for 36 hours and have never had this to happen but I've never used gelatin either...I always cold crash 1 1/2-2 days before kegging to help with clarity as well.

It could be as simple as the keg got disturbed.

The yeasties and whatnot settle to the bottom of the keg, but the bottom is a big bowl. If the keg is disturbed at all, you can cause the sediment to float again causing cloudy beer.

Otherwise, chill haze?

I bet it's chill haze. Pour a small glass and let it sit out for an hour - I bet it'll look clear again.

I've got an IPA that's cloudy when you first pour it and crystal clear 10 minutes later. Just a touch of haze.

Does it taste ok?

Yeah it tastes ok, but the carbonation seems a little less than before, maybe a small leak somewhere?

Back