Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
How likely is oxidation to occur when the beer is in the secondary and you break the seal on the carboy to theif out some beer to take a gravity reading? Also how quickly can beer become yeasty during sitting in the secondary? Months? Years? I know it's a process that takes time, but what I'm getting at is I know year old beer taste differently that month old beer. Obviously that takes a year, but when does the change really start to occur?

Thanks,
Mike

No chance for oxidation getting a sample unless you decide pick up your carboy and shake the heck out of it.

I don't know what you mean by yeasty but I've left beer in secondary anywhere from a couple weeks to 18 months and they all tasted fine when they were drank.

A year old beer does taste different than a month old beer but it really depends on the beer. Some beers just get better after sitting a year and some not so good.

The flavor change/improvement of the average beer comes at about 2 to 3 months after making.

Extremely unlikely.

(Is Budweiser distributing pamphlets about how hard it is to make beer at home?!! If not, why are there so many 'scared' posts this week?)

The second part of your question is a little bit impossible to answer. Yeast is a very hardy thing. Autolysis is highly unlikely for the homebrewer. 'Change' starts to occur the moment you put yeast in, and it never stops. When that change becomes noticeable is impossible to determine in this case - it can vary with every brew.

I'll say this, good homebrewers have beer that is 4,5,6.... and so on years old. It it's stellar, award winning stuff. And some people have 6 month old beer that sucks.

I'll say this, good homebrewers have beer that is 4,5,6.... and so on years old. It it's stellar, award winning stuff.

That's a pretty broad statement. It might be true if you're talking about some form of lambic or Belgian style. Generally most styles won't hold up that well no matter how good the homebrewer is. Maybe I just like to drink 'em young.

I'll wait on my Flanders Red for a couple of years though...

How likely is oxidation to occur when the beer is in the secondary and you break the seal on the carboy to theif out some beer to take a gravity reading?

Just curious, why a gravity reading in secondary? Fermentation should have completed before the transfer.

That's a pretty broad statement. It might be true if you're talking about some form of lambic or Belgian style. Generally most styles won't hold up that well no matter how good the homebrewer is. Maybe I just like to drink 'em young.

I'll wait on my Flanders Red for a couple of years though...

I should have said, good homebrewers CAN have beer that is that old. Stored cold, properly, and made with clean sanitation many but the lightest styles should be fine.

Jamil enter 6 year old beers into competition this year that weren't lambics, from what I heard.

Anyway, it's possible. So you can't throw an opposing broad statement (not that you did) that beer will begin to suffer the effects of ageing at XX point. Because that simple isn't the case - That's all I was trying to say.

Jamil enter 6 year old beers into competition this year that weren't lambics, from what I heard.

If you're using Jamil Z. or some of the other rock star brewers as standard examples of good homebrewers, then you eliminate many good homebrewers. That's all I was trying to say.

Yes, it is possible, but many styles, regardless of the brewer's ability, do not have a long shelf life.

peace

If you're using Jamil Z. or some of the other rock star brewers as standard examples of good homebrewers, then you eliminate many good homebrewers. That's all I was trying to say.

Yes, it is possible, but many styles, regardless of the brewer's ability, do not have a long shelf life.

peace

still missing my point man.... i didn't say beer will last 6 years. i didn't say it won't. i said it does, and it may, and it may not.

JZ or me, or you....doesn't matter. My point is that there's no answer this guys question of "when does the change start to occur" other than that "change is ALWAYS occuring".

Good beer has no predefined time limit. I think we agree on that.

I guess I missed your point and I never did understand the other guys yeasty question anyway...so I didn't try to answer it.

Here is what you actually said.

"I'll say this, good homebrewers have beer that is 4,5,6.... and so on years old. It it's stellar, award winning stuff."

I suppose "peace" didn't work but I'll say it again anyway and be done.

Peace

I guess I missed your point and I never did understand the other guys yeasty question anyway...so I didn't try to answer it.

Here is what you actually said.

"I'll say this, good homebrewers have beer that is 4,5,6.... and so on years old. It it's stellar, award winning stuff."

I suppose "peace" didn't work but I'll say it again anyway and be done.

Peace

and i corrected myself in my first reply, saying that they CAN have beer that old. Certainly, not all do.

-peace (I didn't realize your use of 'peace' meant that I couldn't clarify my point. I'm not arguing with ya.)

Back